Who was it that recommended coconut flakes for cereal craving?

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
It's been a few weeks since I posted about that but someone here (might have been @wabmester?) recommended I try toasted coconut flakes for the random cereal cravings I get sometimes. I finally got around to buying them and they totally hit the spot! New favorite snack. :) Thank you!

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Before I was low carb, I didn't even like coconut. Now those toasted unsweetened flakes are one of my faves.

Advanced recipe (for when you're a bit higher carb perhaps): add them to full-fat Greek yogurt and berries. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I went back to untoasted because they were lower carb than toasted per package labeling but the toasted ones do taste great.
  • wabmester
    Options
    I toast the untoasted. :)
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Ooh, @wabmester, that does sound good!
    And I actually didn't take the time to toast them for tonight (long day!); it was the Bob's Red Mill unsweetened coconut flakes, but they were delicious as is!
  • vazquezmom7
    vazquezmom7 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I also was wondering who posted it because I love it. I add one strawberry and it hits the spot.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Do y'all toast them in the oven or frypan?
  • wabmester
    Options
    I've tried both and like the oven better. 325F for just a few minutes (maybe 4). Spread them in a thin layer on foil. Stir them up about half-way through just to evenly brown them.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    I've tried both and like the oven better. 325F for just a few minutes (maybe 4). Spread them in a thin layer on foil. Stir them up about half-way through just to evenly brown them.

Yum, I'm definitely going to roast them. I've only ever eaten them raw.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Before I ditched artificial sweeteners, I was eating the Carb Master brand yogurt (vanilla) with coconut flakes and shaved dark chocolate a couple times a week. It was very good! But, I tend to overdo it if have sweet stuff too often and had to nix it!

I need to learn to make "pudding type" stuff with coconut cream or milk so I can re create this in a better way.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ that does sound good.
    Do you like coconut milk-chia seed pudding? I haven't gotten around to making it in a little while but I really like that. I use this recipe:
    https://www.charliefoundation.org/resources-and-tools/find-recipes-home/desserts-and-sweets/item/1155-coconut-milk-chia-seed-pudding
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    I'm liking this thread! I love coconut and never thought of just eating unsweetened flakes! I'm also going to try the pudding. Might be the thing I need when everyone else is having a carby dessert! :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've seen @wabmester recommend this before! Haven't tried yet though! Maybe after the ground beef challenge!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I don't get urges for cereal, but coconut flour pancakes take care of my pancake urges. They're a fiber bomb.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    I'm liking this thread! I love coconut and never thought of just eating unsweetened flakes! I'm also going to try the pudding. Might be the thing I need when everyone else is having a carby dessert! :)

They were so good! I actually mixed them w/the raw unsweetened cacao nibs, a little Splenda and 1 Tbsp nut butter, microwaved briefly and then stirred together. So it was like a cross between cereal crunch and something like choc chip cookie dough. Yummy!!

@lithezebra I don't get the cereal craving often but it's hit me hard in the evenings several times in the past few months for some reason.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    @Sunny_Bunny_ that does sound good.
    Do you like coconut milk-chia seed pudding? I haven't gotten around to making it in a little while but I really like that. I use this recipe:
    https://www.charliefoundation.org/resources-and-tools/find-recipes-home/desserts-and-sweets/item/1155-coconut-milk-chia-seed-pudding

Thank you for that! I will have to give it a shot sometime. It sounds great! But it's going to be a while since I'm planning on joining all animal April. :smile: