Anybody else tracking body fat with a scale?

Options
stacicali
stacicali Posts: 137 Member
That last 10 lbs is slow as Christmas, isn't it? And for me, it's not just vanity (though I won't pretend I won't be ecstatic to slip into size 8 jeans again) but a fight to delay hereditary lean diabetes. So, I'm strength training and tracking body fat with my Tanita scale. Problem is that I think it's lying to me. I'm 5'9 158 lbs and my scale is saying I'm 24% body fat. That would be glorious, but I'm looking online (pics and measurement calculators), and I would say I'm more like 26% body fat. Which would you trust? Is the trending at least accurate with the scale?

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I can't trust mine. It fluctuates greatly with time or day and hydration level. And it had me at like 15% BF at a higher weight (when from pics I had to be at 20-25% range). Now that I've dropped weight, it's showing 20%. That's probably about right, but who knows. At this point I'm just going by weekly pictures and how I look/feel.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I used to have a Tanita and thought it estimated me a little low. I now have an Omron, which seems to be more accurate; its result is also close to that of the "Military" body fat calculator.

I always weigh myself in the morning, or at the very least, after using the toilet and without consuming anything.
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm tracking on my "Eat Smart Scale". It also tracks water weight % and muscle mass %. I know how inaccurate the scales can be, so I'm using it more for tracking purposes.
  • edanielsson1
    edanielsson1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Me (girl) and my friend (guy) are using Smart Weight and I find it somewhat accurate. What we have found is that its sensitive to whether your feet are moist or not. Ours measures water retention, fat, bone, muscle, weight and BMI and due to its technology, it needs your feet to be a bit moist to better send the current through your body.

My understanding is that it pretty much sends a current through you (not dangerous) and then measures the time/resistance it has when bouncing back. Or atleast, something like that. It therefore needs slightly moist feet to better connect with you. Hahaha we also found that you cannot use it after a shower for many reasons.
    1. water weights
    2. Suddenly your water and fat goes all over the place!

I think the best with these scales are to accept a +/- result and that it wont be 100% accurate. use it more as a guideline and enter it into the reports on myfitnesspal. I tend to watch the curves between the measurements to see if it goes the right way :smile:
    I also prefer to rely on physical measurements and their graphs as I am trying to get back to being lean and muscular. muscles weight more than fat so I also try not to rely too much on scale numbers.

This is the scale we use:
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00M8FXDIQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do what you feel works best for you, and good luck! :)
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    This is the scale we use:
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00M8FXDIQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do what you feel works best for you, and good luck! :)

Sorry this reply is so late, I forgot I joined this group and just happened to see it at the bottom of the page today. I have the same scale. I only weigh once a week and I have no idea whether fat % from it is accurate, but the number I get from that scale is similar to what I get by a tape measure method (again, I know, not terribly accurate, but it is nice to have two different methods basically match up). I am 5'5" and 142.4 pounds and it says I have 26.9% body fat. That is down from a little over 32 at the beginning of the year. It tells me muscle % is going up (not from gaining muscle of course, but from not losing it as the fat comes off).

At any rate, I am seeing a consistent trend so I am less concerned about the absolute number and satisfied with how the trend is going.

I believe the trending is accurate because I started out the year 20 pounds heavier, barely squeezing into a size 10 pair of pants, and now a size 8 is too big. I can feel muscles in my legs and saw the first hint of an ab muscle the other day. So yes, I am getting smaller so a smaller percentage of my body composition is fat, which the scale is also telling me. I will admit to not seeing daily fluctuations since I only weigh once a week. But of course that is a personal preference.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    No, they are not accurate at all, as mentioned, hydration alone can make a huge difference. If it is really important to you, I would at least get some simple calipers or just do measurements. I also don't think it's possible to see the difference between 24 and 26 % BF just based on some photo, once you get down to such small differences you have to measure more accurately or you won't be able to tell.
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am also tracking with tanita scales and my fat is 10% more than with my weight watchers scales. I am going to go to a clinic where the have the correct equipment to get an accurate figure. Will keep you posted.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have the Aria. I don't know if I trust it as 100% accurate. I am generally dehydrated at weighing (first in the morning, after using the restroom but not drinking any water) so that will increase the amount shown. Add on that I am keto and don't retain as much water anyway, and I expect it's at least 4 points too high. (I've heard offages as high as 7%!)