Let's talk vegetables!!

Options
2»

Replies

• V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Diet wise' I'm currently experimenting with asparagus (dry heat oven with EVOO) for digestion improvement (inulin, prebiotic) & diuretic effects (anecdotal? I can't seem to find any science backing this effect other than altering potassium : sodium). No bloating whatsoever, no significant flattice vs. say cabbage or broccoli.

I'm thinking way ahead of the game because I absolutely hate summer humidity & heat. I will probably switch to cold/uncooked artichokes or sauerkraut (similar prebiotic effects like asparagus, supposidly..."food science").
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone lots of things to try... What seasonings do you put on your roasted veggies? Also never heard of lemon oil... Sounds interesting and OMG I am so going to try collard greens, Do u just do in grease? Or add water? I e only boiled mine before

Boiling collard greens should be a sin. Lol.

Chop them up how you like them. I recommend cutting the bunch into bands that are about 2'' thick, then cut each band in half. You get rectangles of yumminess.

Fry up some chopped bacon (2 strips or about an ounce per portion seems about right). Once the bacon is crisp, dump your chopped greens into the pan and reduce the heat down to a low-medium. Let them cook down a bit, then pour in a splash (1 - 2 TBSP per serving) of your favorite vinegar. ACV works well, but I prefer champagne vinegar. Let the leaves get all wilty and yummy, and salt to taste. Perfect greens!

Your awesom!! Going to store this week!!!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Oh, yum!
    We do a lot of roasted veggies with EVOO, S&P, or roasted curry cauliflower, or salads. Too many steam-in-bag veggies, too, when we're in a hurry but now I'll sometimes add butter and S&P to mine. I grew up with plain steamed veggies; funny how I used to feel virtuous for liking them just fine plain and looked down my nose at people who added butter and salt ... :tongue
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Ok I've seen a few of you mention curry. We love curry dishes but I for the life of me can't find a good curry to cook with. We arnt big on coconut milk in our curry dishes (mine anyways but maybe because I have no clue how to cook with it). Mind u I can cook anything given the ingredients lol. I've bought so many (yellow powder) curry if u seen them I my spice rack you would laugh I just try it once and then it's never right and on I go looking for another. Please tel me when yall make these curry veggies with and what kind (brand and so on, picture would be nice lol) you use!
  • ClaireBearOz
    ClaireBearOz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Roasted, sautéed, stir fried, steamed (with or without added butter) ... Yum ... Love my vegies.

Usually just add salt and pepper (and butter), if steamed. Or if I'm doing a whole bunch of silver beet/chard, I might mix through some heavy cream.
    Sautéed - I'll usually add chopped garlic and salt and pepper, plus lemon/lime juice - great with asparagus/green beans.
    Stir fried - any Asian spices/herbs - ginger, lemongrass, coriander, garlic.
    Roasted - just as they are, or sprinkled with salt and pepper and herbs and spices to suit the meal (rosemary and thyme if they are going with roast lamb, turmeric/smoked paprika or tarragon if with chicken, etc - whatever takes my fancy at the time).

And I frequently curry vegetables (may add a meat) - make a paste from onions, cumin, ground coriander, chilli, ginger, garlic, tomato, cook it out (with the meat and more onions), add cubed vegies and coconut milk and simmer till done.
    Making myself hungry.
  • Kellryn
    Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Wow lots of things to try!
    I'm pretty boring I guess, I just saute or steam veges. I did a butter and coconut oil saute with broccoli the other night it was very good.
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Roasted, sautéed, stir fried, steamed (with or without added butter) ... Yum ... Love my vegies.

Usually just add salt and pepper (and butter), if steamed. Or if I'm doing a whole bunch of silver beet/chard, I might mix through some heavy cream.
    Sautéed - I'll usually add chopped garlic and salt and pepper, plus lemon/lime juice - great with asparagus/green beans.
    Stir fried - any Asian spices/herbs - ginger, lemongrass, coriander, garlic.
    Roasted - just as they are, or sprinkled with salt and pepper and herbs and spices to suit the meal (rosemary and thyme if they are going with roast lamb, turmeric/smoked paprika or tarragon if with chicken, etc - whatever takes my fancy at the time).

And I frequently curry vegetables (may add a meat) - make a paste from onions, cumin, ground coriander, chilli, ginger, garlic, tomato, cook it out (with the meat and more onions), add cubed vegies and coconut milk and simmer till done.
    Making myself hungry.

Wow sounds great!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I just drizzled truffle oil and grated some parmesan onto my roast cauliflower - it's divine!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I just drizzled truffle oil and grated some parmesan onto my roast cauliflower - it's divine!

Oh my. That sounds wonderful.
  • ruffneck813
    ruffneck813 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »

I just wrote a note to myself so I wouldn't forget this combination and to remind myself to buy some truffle oil. It is so tasty and this sounds delicious! Thanks for the idea :)
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    I tried truffle oil one time at a vinager and oil store and I can't remember the taste (mushrooms maybe? Which I love mushrooms) but it was nasty! Are there different kinds? Maybe it was just to strong for tasting but would be good cooking with lol
  • ruffneck813
    ruffneck813 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The black truffle is usually used during cooking and the white truffle is usually a finishing one put on after the cooking is done. Most of the oils you find are going to have truffle "flavoring" added. Some think it taste great and other say it gives it a chemical taste. Most get the infused oil because it is less expensive. There are many different brands. They also make truffle salt which could be an alternative to try and will stay stable longer. Truffles are very strong and you might need to ease into trying it so it's not overpowering. Basically they are a hard underground fungus :)

Disclaimer: I am by no means a truffle expert, lol! Most of this I learned when I was purchasing some.
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Wow thanks I didn't know there was 2 kinds