new to this group

Options
VyannM
VyannM Posts: 8 Member
Hi my name is Vyann. I am 45, currently weighing in at 330lbs and I am only 5 feet. I suffer from crippling arthritis in my knees. Cronic pain sucks. I have been given the ok for knee replacement on both knees but of course, they want me to lose weight first. Not so easy. I am also at least 1/2way through the pre- program for gastric bypass surgery. Hoping it will be the help I need to lose, then get my knees fixed and then be able to keep it off. I'm struggling to get to that point though.

Replies

• Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Of course, follow the advice of your physician but you may find that your knee pain is considerably diminished as you lose weight.

I was taking anti-inflammatories daily for years. Now that I've lost 125 pounds, I've only taken OTC painkillers a handful of times...and that was for headaches not joint pain!

Work the bypass program and increase your activity as tolerated.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Welcome - this is a good group. Losing weight will undoubtably help with your knees. Mine weren't as bad as yours, but I had chronic knee and back pain. After losing 159 pounds, (RNYGB Niv 2014) I am essentially pain free. I'l need knee replacement some days, but that day is way out in the future now.
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Look into water exercises, or work with your pre-op team to discuss other low or no impact exercises you can do for the time being. Just focus on moving more - every little bit helps. "Sit and be Fit" :smile: There's a good chance that weight loss will ease up some of your knee pain, but it might not remove the need for knee surgery. Look at it this way - you're facing one (GB), maybe 2 (knees) surgeries, taking off a little weight prior to those is going to reduce your risk of complications. Stick with it, you can probably drop a few pounds (or more) during the prep phase for GB surgery, without hard core exercising and just by following the recommended eating plan.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. Worsening arthritis in my hips was the final push to convince me that WLS was my only path forward. Losing the ability to be as active as I wanted to be was a harsh dose of reality. As an "athletic fat guy" I became very adept at convincing myself that my weight wasn't a huge problem. When I lost the ability to walk the golf course, play basketball, etc. it made me look a few years into my future and really not like what I saw there.

Hip replacement may still be in my future, but it is hopefully many years out, as I can now walk pain free, and while there is still pain when I run or play sports, it is so much better than it was 175 pounds ago!

Good luck and let us know how we can support you. Hit the pre-surgery plan hard and do whatever it takes to incorporate post-surgery habits and behaviors into your pre-surgery life and things will go well. Whatever you can lose prior to surgery will make the surgery go better, and reduce the amount you need to lose post surgery.

Rob
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't go all Avengers with the exercise. My best friend tore an MCL after losing weight surgically. He was hitting the gym 2 times per day, and pushing too hard. Those muscles need time to adapt to the change in demand. Listen to your body, for sure. If it is a true pain, don't over work it, and get it checked out.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    anbrdr wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't go all Avengers with the exercise. My best friend tore an MCL after losing weight surgically. He was hitting the gym 2 times per day, and pushing too hard. Those muscles need time to adapt to the change in demand. Listen to your body, for sure. If it is a true pain, don't over work it, and get it checked out.

That's no joke. While I didn't go quite Ironman...I did go from absolutely no exercise to walking about a mile a day and quickly upped it from there. By December I ended up with insertional Achilles tendonitis. I'm still dealing with it, and needing to limit what I want to be doing in the gym, now, three months later. Always take it slowly, no matter how good you feel!

Best of luck!
  • VyannM
    VyannM Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice and for the warm welcome :smiley:
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! There's lots of great advice and even better support to be found here. Good luck with your journey!
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! I never would have believed others when they told me how much pain would go away with weight loss. I'm down 150lbs now and I feel GREAT!