Different fats influence gut flora

Options

Replies

• cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    They keep referring to lard fed mice. I wonder what they mean by lard.

Most people don't know that lard is pig fat and NOT beef fat, sheep fat, fish fat or chicken fat. I render a lot of lamb fat because I raise sheep. I wonder if it is as bad for you as this study indicates pig fat is.

I have sheep milk and it is the most delicious stuff I've ever drank. It is sweet and creamy and doesn't need to be homogenized. So, I'm betting rendered lamb fat is not the same as lard.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Interesting study. But as the last guy said, it's not real the way the mice live (or humans) would live like. The gut microbiome science is so complex, its gonna take the scientists dozens of years to sort it out (if ever).

Dan
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    They keep referring to lard fed mice. I wonder what they mean by lard.

Most people don't know that lard is pig fat and NOT beef fat, sheep fat, fish fat or chicken fat. I render a lot of lamb fat because I raise sheep. I wonder if it is as bad for you as this study indicates pig fat is.

I have sheep milk and it is the most delicious stuff I've ever drank. It is sweet and creamy and doesn't need to be homogenized. So, I'm betting rendered lamb fat is not the same as lard.

You can look up the lipid constituents of different types of animal fat. I love ewe's milk cheeses. I'm pretty fond of lard too.

My takeaway from this, besides the fact that we don't know, as pointed out by DittoDan, was that having fatty fish regularly might help promote a healthy microbiome, even if I still eat lard.