LC Dessert for Everyone - Ideas??

Options
BRobertson23
BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
I've been asked to supply dessert for Easter gathering with family. I'm interested in your ideas for easy LC dessert recipes that even non-LC eaters will enjoy. Ideas??

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    This one is awesome and my kids (who usually hate all my low carb recipes) actually BEG for this one: https://glutenfreemakeover.wordpress.com/2014/06/06/low-carb-strawberry-shortcake/

ETA - I've also made it with frozen raspberries if strawberries are too expensive where you live right now!
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The issue isn't going to be low carb, it will be that not everyone will like sweets without sugars. I have made a few things for groups, but they haven't gone over well simply because there are plenty of high carb, sugary desserts to choose from. Unless they are doing low carb, you may take some stuff home. (That isn't a bad thing!)

I haven't tried these cookies but they look like a winner to me. I got this recipe in a newsletter this morning and I so want to try them soon!
    Dark Chocolate-Dipped Coconut Macaroons

Makes 8 macaroons

3 egg whites
    2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
    Sweetener equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
    4 ounces chocolate (85% cacao or greater), broken into pieces

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the coconut and sweetener into the egg white mixture.

Scoop the mixture by 1/4 cupfuls onto the baking sheet to form 8 mounds. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden and slightly firm to the touch. Allow to cool.

Meanwhile, in a small microwaveable bowl, microwave the chocolate on high power in 15-second increments, stirring after each interval, until melted. Alternatively, melt the chocolate in a double boiler.

Carefully dip the bottom third of each macaroon into the chocolate and place back on the parchment paper to cool.

Per serving: 254 calories, 4g protein, 13g carbohydrates, 21g total fat, 16g saturated fat, 4g fiber, 30mg sodium.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    This one is awesome and my kids (who usually hate all my low carb recipes) actually BEG for this one: https://glutenfreemakeover.wordpress.com/2014/06/06/low-carb-strawberry-shortcake/

ETA - I've also made it with frozen raspberries if strawberries are too expensive where you live right now!

That's a lot of erythritol for the whipped cream - I never use more than 2 tsp of sugar for a pint of cream . . .the rest of it sounds good, though!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake!
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Chocolate mousse
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »
    Phrick wrote: »

That's a lot of erythritol for the whipped cream - I never use more than 2 tsp of sugar for a pint of cream . . .the rest of it sounds good, though!

I was thinking the same thing! I don't put any sweetener in when I whip cream.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Chocolate mousse

That's my go-to. I make it with coconut cream and unsweetened chocolate powder and sometimes I throw in some double cream too.
  • rdkstar
    rdkstar Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Do all desserts have to have sugar or fake-sugar?
  • mtizi
    mtizi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    rdkstar wrote: »
    Do all desserts have to have sugar or fake-sugar?

To be low carb, usually yes.

I love these. Eat one then meat the rest of the day! Keeps me full for hours. http://kateshealthycupboard.com/gluten-free-recipes/brownie-fudge/