Which of your ailments was cured by low carb?

Options
124»

Replies

• kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I just started LCHF 11 days, ago, but i lost 4 lbs of water in the first 2 days. As of today, 11 lbs of water gone, but i don't feel as if i am in ketosis yet. Few cravings though, so score!
    I have definitely learned a lot in the past week, thanks to this group. Much appreciation.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    kmn118 wrote: »
    I just started LCHF 11 days, ago, but i lost 4 lbs of water in the first 2 days. As of today, 11 lbs of water gone, but i don't feel as if i am in ketosis yet. Few cravings though, so score!
    I have definitely learned a lot in the past week, thanks to this group. Much appreciation.

That 11 pounds wasn't all water :wink:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I haven't tested to see if eating a lot of sugar would bring back my hand pain, so I can't say that LC cured my hand pain, however my hand pain is greatly reduced. Even driving for hours, recently, didn't bring it back, and I've been holding a paintbrush the normal way when I paint, something that used to give me spasms of pain.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @ruffneck813 I was in a state of nutritional ketosis for a solid six weeks before I lost the first pound. The first 90 days was weird and even the first 180 days to some extent. The cravings/hunger decrease is a positive sign. Now I was 63 with failing health so I expect that was a factor in seeing slow results. 18 months in I continue to improve. I am walking much faster per the kids.
  • ruffneck813
    ruffneck813 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins I'm 49 but I've been pretty rough on my body and asked it to do a lot of crazy things so who knows, maybe it's doing damage control on the inside. I should be happy with the pound a week average I've had over the last 2 months. I had really hoped the waist would go down and mental clarity/energy would go up. Also hoped someone would look at what I'm doing and go, "ah-ha, here's your problem." I should know better after reading so many posts that stuff affect everyone differently. :) Wish I could tell if I'm even in (or staying in) ketosis or not.
  • reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    @ruffneck813 There is no doubt in my mind, if your diary is accurate, that you are in ketosis. You've been under 20 carbs daily for at least a week so it's almost guaranteed to put you there.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins I'm 49 but I've been pretty rough on my body and asked it to do a lot of crazy things so who knows, maybe it's doing damage control on the inside. I should be happy with the pound a week average I've had over the last 2 months. I had really hoped the waist would go down and mental clarity/energy would go up. Also hoped someone would look at what I'm doing and go, "ah-ha, here's your problem." I should know better after reading so many posts that stuff affect everyone differently. :) Wish I could tell if I'm even in (or staying in) ketosis or not.

Are you suffering from lack of mental clarity? If you weren't suffering from brain fog related to carbs/sugar, you probably wouldn't get an improvement in mental clarity from going keto.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

If electrolytes are off, that could be affecting your ability to feel the mental energy.
    I know you're access to a variety of items is limited where you are right? Do I recall that you've not been able to get magnesium and things like broth? I can't remember.
    If not, then I'm not real sure why you wouldn't feel anything at all different. Unless there's some suspect food that's affecting you negatively...???
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Osteoarthritis much improved.
    Mood much better
    Like to exercise and for longer
    Easier to plan meals/shop
    Less food cravings
  • ruffneck813
    ruffneck813 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    @lithezebra maybe that's it. I don't think I had any serious "fog" to speak of prior to starting this woe.
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I'm getting lots of salt (around 5000mg daily). You remember correctly that my variety is limited & no broth or magnesium is available.
    @reblazed I've been under 20 carbs for over a month so I hope you're right.
    Thanks everybody! Sorry for tying up this thread with non-ailment curing posts.