Has anyone tried the blood type diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    I'm just going to be blunt: The "Blood Type Diet" is a load of crap. There are much more relevant issues for what diet works best than blood type.

Yep.

Super gimmick.

http://www.quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/NegativeBR/d'adamo.html
    http://skepdic.com/bloodtypediet.html

I haven't read much about this diet, but at a quick glance, this concept seems a little too simplified and doesn't take into consideration all of the evolution that has happened since we all started walking upright, the mess we've created with modern agriculture and processed food production or the full scope of our genetic diversity and plethora of ailments, let alone our lifestyles and personalities. I think nutrition and lifestyle choices need to be a lot more personalised than pick A, B, O or AB.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    bametels wrote: »
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    According to my blood type I should be a vegetarian eating no meat and no dairy. Also I'm supposed to tolerate grains extremely well. Since I have celiac disease I don't think that's accurate, lol. Basically I eat the total opposite of this diet and feel better than ever!

Interesting. I just finished a book called "Gut". Apparently our blood type is determined by the bacteria in our gut (determined within 2 weeks of our birth). So, of course, is celiac disease. I guess not the same gut bacteria!

Not sure where the author(s) get the idea that blood type is determined by gut bacteria or perhaps you misunderstood something. Blood type is genetically determined. Your blood type is set upon conception. You get get one allele (A, B, or O) from your father and another (A, B, or O) from your mother. People can have the following combinations (AA, AO, BB, BO, AB). Both AA and AO result in Type A blood. Both BB or BO are Type B blood. And then of course if you get one A and one B allele you are AB. If the author(s) is/are that confused about blood type, I would not suggest taking diet advice from them :-)

Wouldn't there also be an OO? I was once told that "O" stands for "Original". Don't know if it's true.

If I understand correctly, 2 O's would make an O. However, O is considered a "blank" (for lack of a better term), so any type combined with O will create that type and not O.

In other words:

A+A = A
    A+B = AB
    A+O = A
    O+O = O

I remember a lesson in 5th grade (I don't know how I remember this from back then) where we illustrated that point with beakers of colored water.

O - clear water
    A - red water
    B - blue water
    AB - combination of red and blue, so purplish

When you combine 2 beakers of clear (O), it comes out as clear (O). When you combine a beaker of clear (O) and a beaker of red (A), it comes out as red (A). And that is why type O's can donate to anybody... because O is just clear water (or something like that).
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    bametels wrote: »
    According to my blood type I should be a vegetarian eating no meat and no dairy. Also I'm supposed to tolerate grains extremely well. Since I have celiac disease I don't think that's accurate, lol. Basically I eat the total opposite of this diet and feel better than ever!

Interesting. I just finished a book called "Gut". Apparently our blood type is determined by the bacteria in our gut (determined within 2 weeks of our birth). So, of course, is celiac disease. I guess not the same gut bacteria!

Not sure where the author(s) get the idea that blood type is determined by gut bacteria or perhaps you misunderstood something. Blood type is genetically determined. Your blood type is set upon conception. You get get one allele (A, B, or O) from your father and another (A, B, or O) from your mother. People can have the following combinations (AA, AO, BB, BO, AB). Both AA and AO result in Type A blood. Both BB or BO are Type B blood. And then of course if you get one A and one B allele you are AB. If the author(s) is/are that confused about blood type, I would not suggest taking diet advice from them :-)

Wouldn't there also be an OO? I was once told that "O" stands for "Original". Don't know if it's true.

Yes, you are correct. If you get one O allele from each parent you have OO, which is Type O blood. Can't comment on whether it stands for "Original" or not :smile:

Then of course there is also RH factor + or -. I don't know if that diet plan accounts for that component of blood type as well.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I think the O actually stands for zero because they don't have the A or B antigens. A is actually the oldest/original blood type.
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think the O actually stands for zero because they don't have the A or B antigens. A is actually the oldest/original blood type.

I always thought O was the oldest and then ran across your post. Did some more digging and found this:

http://m.livescience.com/20030-ice-mummy-oldest-blood-cells.html