Write before you bite

Options
ab6046
ab6046 Posts: 371 Member
If you feel like bingeing, come here and write about it first. If anything, it may at least postpone it for a few minutes!

Replies

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    This is a fantastic idea.
  • daniellethesheep
    daniellethesheep Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Currently halfway through a box of peanut butter Cheerios but other than that I jut ate 2 clif bars and 3 packets of almond butter.

• letgoorbedragged
    letgoorbedragged Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Good idea....
  • ab6046
    Options
    I'm feeling kind of bingey today. I think part of it is in anticipation for tomorrow, and I always do this. The thing is, I don't even have a family event to go to tomorrow since I live far from family these days. It's just me and my husband, and it's his first Easter in the US. I've never cared much for Easter except my mom makes THE best Easter cake, and I use it as an excuse to eat tons of chocolate. But it's not like I am going to an event or anything that might otherwise call for anticipatory bingeing. I am going to try to get through today and tell myself that maybe tomorrow we will go out to dinner or splurge or something. But I feel like we will do that regardless of if I binge, and it's hard for me to stop when I know that tomorrow will be screwed up anyway. Of course this is all the all or nothing, "fresh start" thinking. Sorry for my ramblings. Just trying to postpone things.
  • ab6046
    Options
    I slipped up a bit and then got it together but I can feel it happening again. In fact I'm going to a bakery to get doughnuts right now. I won't buy more than a few because last time the person made a comment about it and it was awkward, but I might grab some chocolate at the grocery store on the way home. I made it a point to only bring cash so like that I can't spend more than planned, which means in some ways this will be controlled. I also have just enough milk to make a batch of tapioca pudding that I can share with my husband. Maybe this can be my Easter celebration and tomorrow I'll get back on track. It's always tomorrow.
  • ab6046
    Options
    And here I am again! I think I may binge again. I got the day started on the wrong foot, and luckily I don't have much food here. Because I'm feeling bingey, I think we will go out to dinner to celebrate but also like that whatever I eat is controlled. I think I'll probably overeat today but if I can just keep from bingeing that would be great. I just had some rice which triggers binges for me, and some chocolate too. Buy my binge urges are not as physical as they usually are and I think I am just expecting myself to binge because it's Easter (which is dumb, since I'm not really celebrating and it's basically like any other day). I hope to not find myself venting in this thread anymore today!
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    We all use this "tomorrow", I will eat better tomorrow, I will diet tomorrow, I will go to the gym tomorrow, and sadly tomorrow is an intangible creature. I wish that there was some magic motivation/control button that can be pushed that would give you control when feel the urge to binge come on.

So overall how did yesterday end up going for you?
  • ab6046
    Options
    It wasn't the worst but it wasn't good. I binged both Saturday and Sunday and today have consistently over eaten but haven't binged. I need to stop now because I just keep gaining weight and it's causing me more stress, which makes me want to binge more. All I can think about is how all of the Easter chocolate is probably on sale now and super cheap.
  • sarahwylder
    sarahwylder Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ab, I feel for you. I always struggle with Easter because it is suddenly acceptable to buy and bring huge amounts of chocolate into the house. It is hard to have it just sitting there. If it is in the house, I eat it.
  • ab6046
    Options
    That is so true! I am just back from the grocery store where I didn't get any on sale chocolate, but I can feel another binge coming on. I don't get it. Six out of seven days last week were binge free. That was the longest streak I've had since December. But now I've binged every day since Friday. The second I got out of my internship today I started stuffing my face. I'm so sick of telling myself that things are going to change...tomorrow. Like there's some kind of magic about tomorrow, aside from the fact that it never seems to come.
  • betrue95
    betrue95 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I feel for you ab6046.

I was able to get past my usual time of overeating after dinner as I was out and busy. I am now home and relaxing and watching Grey's Anatomy, and the first thing I want to do it go get something to eat. That's how it starts....sigh. This nagging feeling like I just want to eat and be full.

So, I'm writing before I bite to try to determine why it is I want to eat. I had a piece of pizza for dinner, and a few tablespoons of light cool whip (a treat my son and I bought last night for his strawberries). I'm not hungry, my stomach is feeling like it needs to be full and it's not. I'm trying to drink a bottle of water and see if I can maybe just have some fruit.

I have the same feelings where I think I will make the change tomorrow. When it really is about trying to make a small change today and a small change tomorrow.
  • ab6046
    Options
    Oh I love greys anatomy! Although I kind of dropped off when Christina left, not so much because I wanted to but because that's when school started. So I have some catching up to do.

I'm glad to see you are trying to write as an alternative to bingeing. I like your plan of drinking water and then having fruit of you need something. I tend to dove in head first immediately, so the fact you're able to take a step back and try something else is really great. I think I may seek instant gratification, and that's part of my problem!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I didn't even know this group existed until today. I have commented a bit on the forums and in one or two threads admitted to my binges, writing about the struggle here may help. So interesting to know how many of us deal with this problem. Anyway, I will be here to help deter you if you help deter me. So far I am having a great week!
  • betrue95
    betrue95 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Glad you are here youngmomtaz. I found this group today as well and already it has made me feel like I'm not alone.

ab6046 - I'm the same that I usually just dive in. I have tried typing in my blog but I think knowing there are others here that feel similar and offer support is awesome.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I am glad you found it and I hope you can find support here.
  • ab6046
    Options
    I am feeling bingey again today. I should have known. I decided to skip the gym, which is always a terrible idea. These days because of my schedule I am only able to go for three days, if even that. And I have always been religious about gym time, until recently. I'm just feeling so discouraged. On days that I don't work out, I tend to binge. It's part of the all or nothing mentality. I cannot seem to stop eating today or thinking about food. I haven't binged yet (although I did just have an episode where I shoveled ten piece of chocolate in my mouth very quickly and some at the same time) but that was the end of it...miraculously. I am now working with 2,500 calories a day, so I feel like I should be able to eat more and not exceed that. But I am also stressed about going that high from day to day when I'm not bingeing. Anyway, I'm done rambling. Hoping I don't binge today. Going to try my hardest. I'm really hoping that come May/graduation, things will settle down (if not sooner).
  • msty112
    msty112 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Bingeing big right now. So frustrating!! Not sugar free candy though...
  • ab6046
    Options
    I forgot to mention that the chocolate I had was sugar free so I thought of you!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    ​What Turned Sugar-Free Candies Into Super-Laxatives?

1514533461230255138.jpg

Sugar-free candies clean out your digestive system better than a giant pipe-cleaner. Not to put too fine a point on it, they make you poop. How do these ultra-laxatives work, and why are they still on the market?
    Lycasin, Maltitol, and Gummy Bears

Reviewers on Amazon made Haribo Sugar Free Gummy Bears famous when they gave reviews testifying that the bears went into their body and out the other end at a break-neck run, taking everything else in their digestive system with them. The unhappy commenters mentioned stomach rumbles, ear-splittingly loud flatulence, and diarrhea. This is not confined to gummy bears. Any food loaded up with a low-calorie sugar called Lycasin will do the same.

Lycasin is a trade name, not a scientific name. The calorie free sweetener in the fake sugar is maltitol. Maltitol is a sugar alcohol, like most other fake sugars. Derived from plants, sugar alcohols have their carbohydrates altered in a lab. They become difficult to digest. The oral bacteria in the mouth are completely unable to digest them, which means they do not contribute in any way to tooth decay. In the stomach, they can be partially digested, but they are digested over a long period of time. An extended digestion period keeps them from dramatically and suddenly elevating blood sugar, making them safer for diabetics. They even might help keep people’s insides healthy. On the Cargill foods index, they are listed as one of the foods that can promote the health of the digestive system by nourishing gut bacteria.

Sugar alcohols are very popular because they are nearly as sweet as sugar, and react like sugar in nearly every way. They come in a white powder. They melt in water. They can be cooked. The only thing they don’t do is brown the way sugar does, so you’ll rarely see them in fried sugary items like cobblers or turnovers.

The Downside of Skinny

Not all of the sugars are digested. The ones that remain on the outside of the inside of the body (not transported across the stomach or intestinal lining), promote a little thing called osmosis. Osmosis is the tendency of molecules to move across a membrane. Generally solvents – in this case water – move across a membrane to an area with a high concentration of solutes – in this case undigested sugars. In other words, having these sugars in your gut will cause a massive amount of water to dump itself into your stomach and intestines.

When the body needs to clean out the digestive system in a hurry, it pours water into the digestive system. The watery material makes a run for the colon, and from there out of the body. And that, boys and girls, is how diarrhea is made. Having too much undigested sugar will cause diarrhea via osmosis. The flatulence is often the result of the stool making its way through your system and pushing everything in its path ahead of it.

Diarrhea isn’t life-threatening, provided it’s not prolonged and the person experiencing it has plenty of water to re-hydrate themselves. That being said, it’s not healthy and it’s really unpleasant. How did this product get on the market if it’s causing people to explode, *kitten*-first, like sea cucumbers?

The main problem seems to be that, when they pick up a product that’s sugar free, most people think, “Oh great, I can eat more,” when what they need to be thinking is, “I have to eat less.” About 25 grams of maltitol is a laxative for children. Forty grams is a laxative for adults. So think of fifteen gummy bears as a decent dose. Few people restrict themselves to fifteen gummy bears, especially if they get a five pound bag. It’s just a matter of a few bites, and then they get their insides relocated.
  • ab6046
    Options
    Hahahahha