Low carb meatloaf recipe

Options
kimmydear
kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
Does anyone have a favorite? I tried one a few weeks ago and it fell apart. I cook for 4 other people, so usually I just stay away from the things I don't want to eat, but sometimes when I'm asked for a certain meal, I have to change the whole thing to low carb (and they don't really mind usually). :) Thanks!

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    http://the-lowcarb-diet.com/low-carb-meatloaf/

I have made this one and it was yummy
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Just use egg and you should be good. That's the actual "binder"; breadcrumbs, oatmeal, etc. is an "extender".
    Don't use beef that's too lean, and don't use coconut flour: it dries it out too much.
  • jlbourdon
    jlbourdon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I tried one that was a lot like the one posted above except no chili powder, soy sauce instead of worcestershire sauce and grated parmesan cheese instead of pork rinds. Was very good and stayed together no problem. The family loved it too
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I make it as usual, replacing the breadcrumbs with crushed pork rinds. My family does not notice (or at least, they don't mention) the difference, and it's delicious. I do use reduced sugar Heinz ketchup.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I made it with a little quinoa and it was very good. Might be too high in carbs for some but good for gluten free.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I just bind mine with egg and make it in mini muffin loaves
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I like to make either mini loaves or in my muffin tin.

I like to use a mix of beef, pork, sometimes veal, sometimes venison. I'm usually making 2lbs at time so I add 1-2 eggs depending on size, I grate some onion, 2-3 crushed cloves of garlic, salt 1T, pepper 1-2tsp, 2tsp ground mustard, mix by hand, but don't over mix, just mix until combined. I top with Paleo ketchup and then bake. So easy and super yummy. My non-keto/lchf family eats it up.
  • bermeoa
    bermeoa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have substituted bread with grilled eggplant and tomato paste instead of ketchup with excellent results.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    >I have substituted bread with grilled eggplant

hmm, that's a neat idea for texture
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Can meatloaf be made by shaping and then just setting on a cookie sheet? I don't have baking pans...
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    @DorkothyParker - sure, I've done that - use parchment paper for an easier cleanup. I'll often shape foil then put the PP inside and that is a super EZ way to bake your meatloaf.