Amino Acid Ratios

Options
V_Keto_V
V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
Similar to Lipid composition & ratios...say Saturated Fat : Polyunsaturated Fat : Monounsaturated fat, anyone here dabble/experiment with Amino Acid ratios?

I'm currently interested & looking into Glycine : Glutamate ratios (higher Glycine, restricted Glutamate); Glutamate is already lower in Low-carbohydrate diets apparently from restricting the carbohydrate sources which mostly contain Glutamate (gluten-glutamate pun). Nutritiondata.com has a tool for filtering food sources of amino acids amongst many other nutrient factors.

Proposed long term effects from glutamate restriction include neuroprotection in Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, etc. being that Glutamate (as well as aspartate) are excitatory toxic amino acids yet are essential for developing/learning early in life....moderation (it's pretty much impossible to eat any whole food diet without consuming glutamate or aspartate).

A similar practice has been seen in methionine restriction with cardiovascular benefit & possibly anti-aging (quite possibly muddled with effects of calorie restriction overall reducing methionine intake)

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    We're looking to you to blaze a trail, V. I've read a bunch of studies, but at the end of the day, I still just eat what I like to eat.

What would you use as a short-term marker?

On a related note, how about iron intake?

We know women live longer than men, right? They still get heart disease, but 10 years later than men. What's the difference?

Menses!

If that's really the difference, then we would see a similar effect in blood donors, right? We do!

http://sciencenordic.com/frequent-blood-donors-live-longer

Bleed for a longer life. :)
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I wish I could donate blood. Maybe leeches?
    Sorry, not helpful.

But seriously OP, if you do decide to have a high glycine diet, I would like to follow your diary. Mostly because I don't fully understand what a lot of this means.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Short term memory would have to be tested; problem always being are improvements due to adapting to taking tests regularly or actual improvements in memory? Folstein mini mental status exam or other similar subjective tests/surveys aren't going to show any change for someone < 30yo.

It's obvious the only objective measure I can do is take an MRI and measure my beta amyloid deposits before and after (sarcasm). Wabmaster, I don't think there are any good short term markers.

I accidentally cut myself far too often and can consider myself a blood donor. Wabmaster, you totally forgot to mention estrogen being the culprit as well despite estrogen having good association with venous thromboembolic disorders, strokes, and Alzheimer's (according to WHI). You can't win, estrogen and testostone...both lead to that inevitable CV mortality!