Low carb and loss of energy!

Rianom
Rianom Posts: 13 Member
Hello I have been on a low carb diet for about 3 months now and have done extremely well on weight loss. At first I was full of energy and was in cruise control,but now I have just loss all of my energy. I have also gotten cranky. I was wondering if anyone may can give me some pointers on what they may have went through after being on low carb diet for awhile?

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited March 2016
    My first 6 months had some times like that. Are you supplementing anything in the way of minerals? @Rianom welcome to MFP forums.

bodybuilding.com/fun/5-supplements-for-ketogenic-dieters

This article was just posted in another thread and I do some version of all 5 points.
  • Rianom
    Thankyou. I take a multi-vitamin, potassium, vitamin3d, zinc and fish oils daily.
  • gainwait
    gainwait Posts: 40 Member
    I've started to take 5 grams of magnesium everday and it has helped immensely with my energy levels. Also not enough sodium in your diet can cause issues such as lightheadedness, fatigue, and headaches. Sodium is a crucial electrolyte in the body and this can become problematic when the kidneys dump too much of it whilst being on low carb. You could try bone broth or even add a stock cube to hot water. I enjoy the vegetable flavour.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    I read you are doing Low Carb - but don't forget the other half of the equation is higher fats and protein.
    Lots of folks take out pasta, rice, breads and lose weight However to keep energy up you need extra fats and protein in addition to what Gale and gain correctly said.
  • Rianom
    gainwait wrote: »
    I've started to take 5 grams of magnesium everday and it has helped immensely with my energy levels. Also not enough sodium in your diet can cause issues such as lightheadedness, fatigue, and headaches. Sodium is a crucial electrolyte in the body and this can become problematic when the kidneys dump too much of it whilst being on low carb. You could try bone broth or even add a stock cube to hot water. I enjoy the vegetable flavour.

Thankyou. I will try both to improve my energy.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    I assume you saw this at the top of the forum:

Dizzy? Weak? Tired? Headaches?
  • Rianom
    slimzandra wrote: »
    I read you are doing Low Carb - but don't forget the other half of the equation is higher fats and protein.
    Lots of folks take out pasta, rice, breads and lose weight However to keep energy up you need extra fats and protein in addition to what Gale and gain correctly said.

I have kept my diet very strict since January. I have stayed under 1500 calories a day for the most part. I usually eat the same foods but my fat and protein intakes are high. I do not eat breads and pasta anymore but I sure do miss them along with homemade sweets. I guess the diet maybe catching up with me. At least I have lost 45lbs so far with only 14 more to go.
  • Rianom
    wabmester wrote: »
    I assume you saw this at the top of the forum:

Dizzy? Weak? Tired? Headaches?

Thankyou. I didn't click on it to read but I will go check it out. New on here as far as asking others people's advice on dieting.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Insufficient sodium intake is the #1 problem for low-carbers, so the mods just made that sticky post. Don't hesitate to ask any questions, but it's a good read. :)
  • Rianom
    wabmester wrote: »
    Insufficient sodium intake is the #1 problem for low-carbers, so the mods just made that sticky post. Don't hesitate to ask any questions, but it's a good read. :)

Thanks. I will try to get some sodium pills. Alot of the symptoms in that post fit what I'm going through.