How much is skin and how much is fat?

Options
EmilyEmpowered
EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
OK, so I have lost over 100 pounds, basically extended over a 3 year period (basically lost the first 100 within a year, suffered from disordered eating also and so I was kind of up and down in weight alot, and not doing any strength training until January of this year.) I am actually at my original goal size and weight, and am now realizing that a goal size and weight is pointless and mostly just focusing on getting the best body that I can achieve.

What kills my motivatoin and sets me back a lot is my stomach. From having two pregnancies where I gained all of this weight in the first place, then losing fairly quickly and not doing the right things to tighten my stomach, I am really unhappy with it. Despite wearing a size 4-6 in most pants, a small in tops, and being at a healthy weight and pretty good BF% (calipers say 24.9%), I am starting to fear that I will never be happy with my stomach.

I think the reason it bothers me so much is because I feel like the lower stomach should be such a sexy and beautiful part of a women's body and mine... well, it isn't at all! I always have issues attaching pictures, since I am on a computer that blocks a lot of sites. I am changing my profile picture to show what I am really working with under the clothes. It is pretty bad, so I apologize! (Top pictures are over my lower belly, bottom pictures have my pants under the part that "hangs", its hard to tell but these are the best I have from about a week ago and the bottom ones are after I ate so kinda bloated.)

Here are my main questions:
1) How can I tell if its mostly skin or mostly fat? I really dont want to lose any more "size" but I want this area tightened up
2) How long can I reasonably expect to see changes? A year? two?
3) is is possible that I can actually have the 24.9% BF the trainer told me, with such a big and flabby stomach?

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it! I am happy to give any other info you need. Actually, my stats are
5'4", 137 pounds, waist:29 inches, and I run and strength train including heavy (for me) lifting.

Thanks again!

Replies

• castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm not SS or Sara, but you might want to watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DTDQJ5ifV4

It makes a lot of sense. That, and not losing weight too quickly, which I guess it's too late to do.

Good luck!
  • EmilyEmpowered
    Options
    Thank you, I am going to check that link out later today.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I'm not SS or Sara, but you might want to watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DTDQJ5ifV4

It makes a lot of sense. That, and not losing weight too quickly, which I guess it's too late to do.

Good luck!

I listened to it, and sorry, but the video a total bunch of crap.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    What strength training program do you follow?
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Also, this may be hard to hear, but how you view yourself may have to change. I found this video really inspirational to help me deal with my (relatively minor) loose skin issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrasQOojFyo
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    In response to your specific questions:
    1) How can I tell if its mostly skin or mostly fat? I really dont want to lose any more "size" but I want this area tightened up

Loose skin is very thin. Until you get down to a reasonably low BF% is will be hard to tell as there will be fat behind it. On looking at your pictures, it is too early to tell whether it is loose skin or not. The only way to tighten up the area is to lose more weight and see.
    2) How long can I reasonably expect to see changes? A year? two?

Rule of thumb is about 2 years for skin to tighten up before determining whether it is permanent or not.
    3) is is possible that I can actually have the 24.9% BF the trainer told me, with such a big and flabby stomach?

I cannot tell for sure based on your profile pics, but I would put you at higher than 25% (sorry :flowerforyou: )

The best thing to do, is to eat at a small caloric deficit, strength train, get your protein in and be patient. You are young and as such your skin will have a better chance to tighten up than if you were older.

I want to address this comment also:
    It is pretty bad, so I apologize!

On looking at your pics, it is not bad at all. You do not appear to have a big issue at all compared to many who have lost that much weight, and even many who have lost less.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I listened to it, and sorry, but the video a total bunch of crap.

Was shaking my head already at the juice feast title.

Oh...and no. Don't listen to the video. It's bad info.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    Options
    I appreciate all of the info. I was pretty sure that my BF was higher, and planning on getting a more accurate test done in August for my birthday. Over all though, I am still sure that it has been decreasing which is good.

I am still trying to figure out how many calories to eat. I have increased already from where I was and am now eating 1400 a day plus exercise calories. (So I eat anywhere from 1400- 2100 a day)

Also, I do think I am sometimes harsh on myself for how my belly looks, I feel good in clothes but take off my shirt and I can have a breakdown over what I see!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all of the info. I was pretty sure that my BF was higher, and planning on getting a more accurate test done in August for my birthday. Over all though, I am still sure that it has been decreasing which is good.

I am still trying to figure out how many calories to eat. I have increased already from where I was and am now eating 1400 a day plus exercise calories. (So I eat anywhere from 1400- 2100 a day)

Also, I do think I am sometimes harsh on myself for how my belly looks, I feel good in clothes but take off my shirt and I can have a breakdown over what I see!

Congratulations on your amazing weight loss.

I think that the more weight we lose, the more critical we are about our bodies.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I am not saying this to blow smoke up your *kitten*, as I do not do that, but in your current profile pic your arms great, you have no underarm fat/skin that I can see, which is really good considering how much weight you have lost. Focus on how far you have come and how much better you look and feel now (I know! easier said than done sometimes).

We all have issues with certain parts of our bodies, some worse than others. You are not alone in this and you are also probably being very self critical (I understand that part as I am myself).

Not sure if this will help, but you may want to have a read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/935283-expectations-keeping-it-real
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I think that the more weight we lose, the more critical we are about our bodies.

Totally agree.

At first, we just see that we are getting smaller and it is encouraging. When you get to a certain BF%/physique, you tend to start looking at the parts rather than the whole and get more critical of them.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    Options

Totally agree.

At first, we just see that we are getting smaller and it is encouraging. When you get to a certain BF%/physique, you tend to start looking at the parts rather than the whole and get more critical of them.

I am not saying this to blow smoke up your *kitten*, as I do not do that, but in your current profile pic your arms great, you have no underarm fat/skin that I can see, which is really good considering how much weight you have lost. Focus on how far you have come and how much better you look and feel now (I know! easier said than done sometimes).

We all have issues with certain parts of our bodies, some worse than others. You are not alone in this and you are also probably being very self critical (I understand that part as I am myself).

Not sure if this will help, but you may want to have a read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/935283-expectations-keeping-it-real

Thank you! All of these posts made me feel a lot better. I really am pretty proud of my legs and arms, even my back progress. And I am a girl, so I have to remember that we are all the same-- we post the most flattering pictures (I do this too, take 10 selfies and post the best one lol) and you are right, I need to STOP comparing myself to other people and just be the best I CAN.

(Also, I know I am lucky that I dont have much loose skin anywhere else, my inner thighs, under arms, etc dont jiggle and I know a lot of people who very well may ALWAYS have loose skin there. Just a reminder that we ALL have trouble areas, like you said.)

Thanks again :flowerforyou:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Thank you! All of these posts made me feel a lot better. I really am pretty proud of my legs and arms, even my back progress. And I am a girl, so I have to remember that we are all the same-- we post the most flattering pictures (I do this too, take 10 selfies and post the best one lol) and you are right, I need to STOP comparing myself to other people and just be the best I CAN.

(Also, I know I am lucky that I dont have much loose skin anywhere else, my inner thighs, under arms, etc dont jiggle and I know a lot of people who very well may ALWAYS have loose skin there. Just a reminder that we ALL have trouble areas, like you said.)

Thanks again :flowerforyou:

Also, don't forget you gave birth to human beings, and your tummy doesn't just look the way it does from mindless overeating or whatever. Give yourself a break, eh? You're a mom. It's fine to have stretch marks and a bit of a loose tummy as a reminder that there's 2 adorable pieces of your heart walking around out there calling you "Mommy".

You know, really we should treat our preggo stretch marks and bit of tummy flab like the dudes do, when they compare scratches and scrapes they got from (comparatively) less significant "feats". Ya gave birth, for pete's sake! Be proud of that! Never be ashamed of your body! That's silliness. You earned all that, fair and square. Maybe quit comparing yourself to 18-year-old bikini models or public figures who get paid to look good. You look pretty great for somebody who's given birth twice, and all your hard work is showing off for sure. Heck, I still look 6 months pregnant and my "baby" is 16. :laugh: You're fine. :flowerforyou:
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    So I snooped at your profile pics, too, and I just have to say you look WONDERFUL! You really do! And I have the tummy issue big-time, I know for myself it is something I will have to accept to a certain extent. And look at your arms!! I have a hard time not being self-conscious about mine. I've lost over 70 pounds and I feel my arms really show it. But even with the loose, jiggly parts, this is still much better than being 70 pounds heavier.

I say appreciate your WHOLE body! It can do amazing things, even if it jiggles here and there! :flowerforyou:
  • EmilyEmpowered
    Options
    http://thebellyproject.wordpress.com/page/23/

Someone shared that link with me today. yep, I have scrolled through 23 pages of bellies! LOL I thank all of you for your support and kind words, this is why I love MFP and although I have my days, like today, where I am really hard on myself, overall I am learning to love myself.

And y es, my little babies are MORE than worth having a belly for!! :)
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    First I want to say that you look fab! You have great legs, back, arms, and just a bit of flab in the stomach area.

I would lose some more weight just to see how I look. I think quite a lot of the flab is fat, not skin.
    If you lose another 5-10 lbs and don't like it, you can always gain it back.
This discussion has been closed.