I don't know what to do

Options
Skittles2183
Skittles2183 Posts: 1,594 Member
So I been thinking all about having the gastric surgery but I'm just really worried about complications or pain or who knows lol I have watched youtube videos of people who have had it, I have talked with people I know who had it done and some good some bad. I just don't know how to weight out the bad with the good, and I would love all feed bad from this. Was it worth it to you to get the surgery done? did you have complications, what were they? do you still have issues? did you have to go back in for other surgery because of this. Please share the good the bad and the ugly with me. I just want to make sure I am truly making the right choice for myself. thank you

Replies

• cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It took me two years to come around to the idea that WLS was "normal" and appropriate for me. That my weight wasn't just the result of a weakness in character. Now, 17 months post RNYGB, down 150 pounds, off all my meds, resolved a long list of co-morbities, fitter and feeling than I have in over 30 years m, I can say that for me, next to getting married, this has been the best decision of my life. The good for me has been so much better than the bad.
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It took me YEARS of changing my thought that the surgery was bad or unsafe ...4 months out now, and I couldn't be happier or more confidant in my decision. I love my new life! The decision process is different for everyone, but I could see where my life WAS headed...soooooo glad that I took the stance and changed my path!
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing your research which is great! I found that listing pros and cons helped me a lot. I had diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. I was tired all the time and just generally felt unhealthy. If I controlled my blood sugar -- I gained weight. It seemed like a losing battle. The surgery was recommended by my primary care physician and endocrinologist. I had the sleeve done in September 2014 and am down about 40 pounds. Even better is that my blood sugar levels are normal, my blood pressure is normal and my cholesterol is under 100. I have energy and am no longer tired 24/7. I am a very slow loser and stall a lot but I am very happy with the health benefits so far.

I did not experience much pain with the surgery and my recovery was relatively easy. I was off work for half a week and then returned part-time but I did tire easily for the first two weeks. I was very nauseous right after surgery and that lasted for about three days and extended my hospital stay for an extra day. (If you know that the anesthesia normally makes you queasy, you can work with the surgeon who can give you IV meds for that). I also did not really experience the lack of hunger that a lot of others are (lucky!) enough to experience. I could not eat much at a time for the first several months but I did feel hungry. That surprised me.

Best of luck!