Options
Pmagnanifit
Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
If I eat carbs will I need to do induction again

Replies

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    How many carbs are you planning to eat and exactly what carbs? There is a difference between a huge salad, a serving of broccoli etc compared to French Fries, Pasta or White Rice. Are you asking about a specific quantity or just one serving at one meal?
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    I have been at less than fifty carbs a day- tomorrow is a holiday and I want to eat 75 carbs fifty at one meal
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    Specifically a muffin
  • landiodo
    landiodo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I ate some wheat pasta (75 carbs) and was bloated amd uncomfortable for three days. I stayed in ketosis the whole time.
  • Blossom_13
    Blossom_13 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about going over, maybe you could lower your fat intake so you can fit in that muffin? Do the IIFYM thing (If It Fits Your Macros) :) great way to treat yourself without feeling guilty
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    How quickly you're back into ketosis can depend on how long you've been Keto and how quickly you burn through the carbs.
    At 75g, your body will still make ketones. Since 50g will be all in one meal, you will temporarily be out of ketosis.
    I say go ahead and try it if you want. Mostly because I think you will discover that it's not worth it. Most people don't feel very well after a carb indulgence because of the bloating and digestive issues returning that had gone away.
    It can actually be very good for affirming why low carb is the way to go.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    50g at one meal will kill ketosis for a little while. Let's calculate how long. Brain burns 150g glucose per day (if available). That's 6g per hour. So you'll be out of ketosis for about 8 hours. Less if you exercise. :)

Basically all that happens is that liver glycogen gets a refill.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    No, for that small amount you'll be fine. Could take a couple days to snap back, but not the 3 weeks we often hear said. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If you eat the muffin, then go back to what you were doing.
    I wouldn't think that one muffin would mean you'd need to do a full on "induction" again.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I thought maybe you wanted to eat 300 crabs for a while. One muffin should not do you in unless your repeat it for the next 300 days. :)
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    So... I didn't eat the muffin. I made a quiche and there were carbs in the crust. The crust also had plenty of fat but basically I did not want be over for the day. It was tasty!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Good call. While I have been off sugar and all forms of grains for 1.5 years a muffin, bowl of ice cream, etc can make me mentally want 2, 3 or more. I never want the physical dependence on carbs again but I expect it could happen quickly. While the mental cravings can hit at any just saying NO is very doable unlike the physical craving I had all of my life. Not feeling deprived at all but blessed to have learned how to stop cravings by my WOE is awesome.
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Good job staying on track! :-)
  • ClaireBearOz
    ClaireBearOz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well done.