What about alcohol?

Options
Pmagnanifit
Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
When I drink two glasses of wine I get thrown out of ketosis. Anybody have any thoughts- even if I am under50 g carbs for the day.
Any thoughts?

Replies

• KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Do you want to stay in Ketosis? Or do you want to drink? Maybe try a dryer wine with a bit less sugar.

The body will burn alcohol first, sugar second, ketones third, so it really isn't Keto friendly.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    From my understanding, alcohol makes the liver too busy to make ketones. The body perceives alcohol as a toxin, so it wants to get rid of it ASAP. This means you're not thrown out of ketosis. BUT, as long as the liver is processing the alcohol... fat burning from STORED fat isn't gonna happen or is greatly reduced.

In effect, frequent alcohol consumption is counterproductive to fat loss from adipose tissue.

The chain of events leading up to lipolysis (mobilizing big fat molecules out of the cell into smaller fat molecules that can be transported in blood) is unfortunately complex and easily disrupted. Add to injury that most people usually do most of their lipolysis during sleep. While sleeping we aren't eating, so in rest and digest mode. Alcohol cheats you of that prime fat burning time.

In other words: Gaining fat is biochemically easier to achieve than losing fat.

Personally, I enjoy drinking here and there since I'm in maintenance mode. Many people can lose fat in the smaller window. But if you're down to stubborn fat, or you're quite lean already or hitting a true plateau, habits like alcohol would be the first to look at,IMO.

• ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I swap my beverage to vodka lemon water. It doesn't seem to have effect me or if it did it wasn't much. (But I don't have daily just 2 times a week) But yes wine will kick you out.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I drink 3-4oz of red wine on occasion. If you drink too much it will knock you out of ketosis.