Traveling and LC

Options
shans34
shans34 Posts: 535 Member
Hi Guys,
I'm going to be traveling to see my hubby, who just started a new job in another town and I'm stuck where I am until I can join him in 6 weeks. With that, I am trying to figure out how to eat LC while traveling. At his place he only has a microwave to cook with and I'm not sure what to do to maintain eating well and not blow my efforts out of the water. Any suggestions on staying strong with LC while on the road?

Replies

• Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Bacon! You could try doing the bacon experiment and just microwave it.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Awhile ago, I started eating Subway salads for lunch most days. You get whichever meat, veggie options (with a base of lettuce, spinach, or both + whatever other veggies), and dressing. They always offer croutons and crackers, but just say no and it's good. I get a 'chopped salad' - it's a salad, but they chop it and mix it up.

Recently, I discovered that there are low carb options at other restaurants as well... you can ask burger places to hold the bun and then don't get fries. This came up after a thread recently here about Hardee's / Carl's Jr. So I went to McDonald's and they just put the burger pieces in a plastic tub like what they would use for salads. I thought that was odd. Hardee's wraps it in a lettuce leaf and then wraps that in a regular burger wrapper. But then I went to Arby's and ask for a sandwich with no bun. At Arby's, they put it in a little plastic tub also!

If you are eating at the husband's place, there are some (not a lot) options for microwave cooking low carb. Some sausage can be cooked in the microwave, for example. There is also the possibility of things that don't get cooked like Quest bars or other low or no carb convenience foods.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    a hotplate is inexpensive and portable and would widen your options a ton...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    ^^ I was thinking of a Foreman grill, but I didn't know how she would be traveling. If driving, then it is easy. Flying with something like that would be inconvenient.

However, if there is a 2nd hand / thrift store near your husband, a portable grill or hotplate or something could likely be picked up for $10.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Hot plate n kettle with a few basic utensils would broaden home cooking. We survived in India for 4.5 years without an oven, but stove top was essential.

I drink a lot of fluid whilst traveling. Stress n boredom are food triggers for me so trying to relax also helps. Most restaurants accomodate low carbs and take away needs little tweaks like above (personally not a fan of eating fast nor the feeling after fast food so I dodge fast burger places).

Enjoy your change in location. It's a roller coaster ride emotionally, so acknowledging that and finding support helps dodge using food instead. Good luck.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Lunch meat wrapped up with cheese is easy and requires no cooking! I usually just have coffee with hwc for breakfasts and coffee or tea w/ hwc is a great snack. There are a lot of microwave options for sausage and bacon. Eggs can be cooked in the microwave as well. Restaurants won't be a problem at all. Any fast food place will give you a burger without the bun. Jimmy John's will make any sub a lettuce wrap. Salads with meat, cheese, and full fat dressing are a great choice.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Steam fresh microwave veggies... Also when I go to any sit down restaurant I order steak and salad or my fav is just tell them a cheese burger pattie only served on a house salad.. If u want it to taste like a burger I always order side of mayo or just ur fav dressing.
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    These are great options thanks. I appreciate it. I was really worried about this because this is my first trip since going LC. I don't want to gain weight while on my trip to see my husband. I thought about a hotplate, but my hubby commented the kitchen breaker was easily overloaded and worried about that. I was also considering getting him a crock pot and teaching him a few cooking techniques while there. I will just have to see what is available once I get there. Thanks guys!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I travel for work, 1-3 night trips. I cook a bunch of chicken and beef on Sunday. I portion out the meat as well as frozen veggies and fats out into reusable TV -dinner-type trays. (Bought on Amazon) I make a stack of these ready-to-microwave meals and freeze them. Throw them in a cooler and you're good to go!