Just drank my coffee without Splenda!

Options
redimock
redimock Posts: 258 Member
Small victory for me :smile:

I am a relatively new coffee drinker (within the last 2 years or so, and I'm 37), and I've never been able to drink it without sweetener. I am gearing up for the Ad Lib April challenge, and if the point is to listen to my body, I don't want to confuse my body with artificial sweetener. Finished off the last of the Diet Coke in the house last week. The first sip of the coffee made me wonder if I could do it, but then every sip after was just as enjoyable as sweetened coffee. Yay! Luckily the HWC stays :smiley:

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yay!!!! I've given up Splenda too. I didn't like the study that came out linking it with leukemias. I love my coffee unsweetened, with cream.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    After giving up all sweaters I lost all cravings... (That shakey feeling inbetween meals) I've had sweetness here and there on my journey and each time I try some I have those cravings for 2 days... After about a month with out any just try one serving of something with it and see what it does to your body.. Again it takes me 2 days to flush it out but wow after you see what it does to you, you won't want to add back!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Good job! I gave up artificial sweeteners several years ago as they seemed to trigger flares of my RA. I drink coffee with hwc and tea plain and I love it! Once you get used it you won't miss it at all! :)
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have given up carbs before, but never artificial sweeteners. It'll be interesting to see how my body reacts!

Anyone have a suggestion for a gum alternative? I can't stand keto breath :smile: ) Brushing my teeth 6 times a day? :smiley:
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    They make a xylitol gum. Zylicious. It's a sugar alcohol and is more "natural". You can usually find it at health food stores or in the health food section.
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Im right behind you. I really think I use too much stevia and coffee is my main stevia delivery system.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    awesome!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Instead of gum, maybe try cholorphyll drops? Just be advised it makes your whole mouth dark green, so brush after. But regular use supposed to freshen from the inside :) No clue if that is true - I have invisalign and after turning them neon green and not being able to get them back to white I gave up !
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Congrats! It's surprising how quickly your tastes can adjust
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Tanukiko wrote: »
    Im right behind you. I really think I use too much stevia and coffee is my main stevia delivery system.

Stevia is actually a natural "sugar substitute" (I know that sounds like an oxymoron) so its not an "artificial sweetener" like so many others are...unless the brand of stevia you use isn't 100% pure but a mix of stevia and other ingredients.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    redimock wrote: »
    Anyone have a suggestion for a gum alternative?

Spry gum is another decent LC gum. Alternatively, I've heard that a relatively simple and easy way to control Keto breath is to lower your protein intake a bit.

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I'm using Dark Chocolate Stevia select and loving it, btw I'm also an almost two year coffee drinker, often tea or decaf coffee.
    Gosh do I hope this Stevia is "safe"

p8bemuxpf70h.jpeg
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I really need to jump on this bandwagon!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Giving up sweetener was very difficult for me too. I fought with wanting to do it for months. Trying to cut back a little at a time. Ugh! I realized I was babying it too much and just went for it finally! Best decision ever!
    I do have a little stevia (sweet leaf water flavor) sometimes to make my supplement drinks taste better, but lately I'm able to just add some lemon or lime instead.
    I hate that sweeteners are so difficult to stop. It reminds me of my sugar battle in the beginning and I don't like it!