Who is growing their own summer veggies?

Options
2»

Replies

• hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Lots of different kinds of tomatoes, zucchini, green beans, perilla leaves, herbs and lots of peppers, sweet, jalapenos, Serranos, Carolina reaper, bhuta Jolokia. Will be making a lot of tomato jam and hot pepper Jam. Can't eat any of them unless I can figure out a sugar-free version.
  • hakamruth
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    Tomatoes. If I don't kill them. I have a wicked brown thumb.

Several years ago I ran across an article written by someone just like you and I: "The Sixty Dollar Tomato." We are lucky enough to have a reliable market handy that carries local produce whenever they are in season. Trying to grow them myself constitutes cruelty to vegetables.

That is me also. I have a black thumb. Luckily my husband has a green thumb. He grows them, I cook them!
  • hakamruth
    Options
    What brand of tomatoes does everyone grow?? Last year I did a brandy boy (mix between a brandywine and better boy I guess). Them things went crazy.... I waited to late to order them this year so I ended up getting brandy wine, and 2 other kinds to experiment.

We get most of our plants from the local arboretum. They had their annual Veggieplooza last Friday. Picked out over 30 tomato plants, different heirloom tomatoes, different types of cherry tomatoes (my favorite so far is the blueberry), this year I picked up a lot of varieties of paste tomatoes, they hold better for tomato jam and tomato sauce.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Red chard, kale, spinach, collard greens, a tomato plant or two, watermelon are all planned out :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I'm putting zucchini in the ground this week! We have blueberry bushes too, that are loaded with flowers! MIGHT do some tomatoes though I never get edible tomatoes from them! So we probably won't.

Cherry tomatoes.

Seriously, they're the weed of the tomato world. I'm not sure it's possible to kill them short of ripping them out of the ground.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    We have neighbours all around who garden for the love of gardening (they grow way more than they need, lol) so although we used to garden a few years ago... now we garden by osmosis, lol. Somehow veggies turn up on our doorstep and we never have to weed or cultivate. Lovely tomatoes (Oxheart are my favorites as well as the black-purple streaky ones - all heirloom), English cucumbers, spaghetti squash and zucchini, and the odd butternut squash, radicchio, rainbow chard, and grocery bags of assorted lettuces like red leaf and butter. If only it was warm enough to have an avocado tree here....
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Lord willing, I plan to grow a garden this year. Bell peppers, jalepenos, cucumbers, carrots, onions, brocolli, green beans, radishes. I do raised bed organic gardening.

Dan
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I have a chicken coop full of wonderful compost waiting to be transferred to a veggie garden!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I just ordered some worm castings online, my sister says it worked amazing in her garden. I have to get my bf to build some raised beds for me and get into town for my free mulch to fill them up
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I just ordered some worm castings online, my sister says it worked amazing in her garden. I have to get my bf to build some raised beds for me and get into town for my free mulch to fill them up

I recommend buying or building a worm bin. It'll be cheaper in the long run, and you can compost your own kitchen scraps. :)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

I recommend buying or building a worm bin. It'll be cheaper in the long run, and you can compost your own kitchen scraps. :)

I'm not sure we are advanced enough for that. I'm not even sure what to do with the worm castings once I get them. I can't believe how hard it is to grow food. When I was a kid we had two gigantic gardens and my mom canned food for the whole winter. After my dad passed we no longer did the gardens so I never learned what to do.