Refocusing On Building Muscle

Options
robingmurphy
robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
My story is that I started around 155 at Christmas and I've lost about 15 pounds and I'm at 138ish. I've always felt that about 125lbs would be ideal for me. However, I was sick with a cold for a month and ate at maintenance in that time. I've been enjoying eating at maintenance so much, I'm thinking I might just continue. I'm at a healthy weight for my body, all my dress pants fit again, and I feel like I look pretty good. Sure, I might look a little better if I drop 5-10 more, but I'm not sure it's worth it right now. So, I think I'm going to refocus on hitting the gym hard and building more muscle. I'm going to continue tracking and will aim for a small deficit - maybe 200 calorie deficit a day - and so I might lose just a little bit of fat slowly. Might make it to 125 eventually ... but if I don't, I want to be ok with that. Perfection is not my goal, but happiness with my health, fitness, and looks plus maintainability is, and I think I'm there now! Any thoughts or tips about transitioning into more of a maintenance or recomp mode?

Replies

• sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    If you already ate matenance while sick and maintained you're ahead of the curve. I would stick with eating that much and then just use your workouts as your "deficit".

Make sure you're getting a good amount of protien in youe diet. 30% or so. They say .75-1g per lb of lean body mass.
  • tinywonder25
    tinywonder25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Great goal! I have a similar one once I get to my goal weight. Im traumatized from my previous experience with lifting heavy and trying to lose fat. I gained 9 lbs some muscle some fat. I was still nursing my daughter at the time so it could have been hormonal but I'm not taking chances. From what I've read a lot of body builders have to "feed" the muscle and do gain some fat and then when competition comes they go on a severe deficit so the fat melt off and they look all "cut".
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    There's a great, really long thread over in the maintaining weight forum that might be useful: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I originally had a goal weight of 135. Once I reached it I changed it to 130. I am at 133 and have made the same decision as you. I am trying to switch my focus now on toning up. I did put about 1.5 pounds on in the last week and a half but my son and I indulged quite a bit. I suspect that will drop. I am really wanting toned legs, arms and mid section. My tummy is rock hard but I still have that layer of fat/skin. I haven't been able to get rid of that since being pregnant. I gained over 75 pounds. Not saying that is an excuse. It has been plenty long enough. My body just won't change much there.

I have heard you will gain muscle and fat if you are working to build lots of muscle. I guess that it is still good though because your body looks better.
  • Kerryatoon
    Kerryatoon Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    ekat120 wrote: »
    There's a great, really long thread over in the maintaining weight forum that might be useful: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Following this thread.. thank you for the link!! Great info!