Lidl high protein roll/low carb

Options
jaketwin123
jaketwin123 Posts: 55 Member
hi,has anybody else tried these,i love them but only have half at a time as they are large and only 39p a bargain

list of ingredients below

Lidl High Protein Rolls

Ingredients:

Water, Linseeds, Wheat Protein, Soya Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, Sesame, Soybean Meal, Sunflower Seeds, Wheat Bran, Oat Fiber, Yeast, Salt, Colouring Spice Extracts (Curcuma).

Nutritional Information:

Typical Values per 100g:

Energy 1194kJ/268kcal

Fat 13.4g (Of which saturates 0.4g)

Carbohydrate 8.5g (Of which sugars 0.5g)

Fibre 12.4g

Protein 26.7g

Salt 0.99g

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Sorry, you lost me at "whole wheat flour". I'm sure these will work for some, but anyone who is doing ketosis for health reasons, not so much. That stuff is the devil, for me!

But if it works for you, go for it! Good luck! :smiley:
  • jaketwin123
    Options
    sorry for being dim but what harm is the whole wheat flour :)
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I have not seen these at my Lidl in Germany. Are they packaged or in the bakery section? I could definitely make these work!
  • jaketwin123
    Options
    yes sorry im in the UK and are in the bakery,i buy 3-4 cut in half and freeze,i love seeded bread but that had to go now im on LCHF so these seem a good alternative,only have 2 halves every 10 days or so,theyve been selling these here appro 4-5mths
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac disease so I can't do wheat but I'd say if you have been eating them and meeting your goals they should be a good choice for you.

A lot of people who do ketosis for health and not just weight loss have inflammatory issues that grains seem to worsen.
  • riaward1990
    riaward1990 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've seen these but never realised they were lower carb. (Are you talking about the ones in the bakery, triangular with seeds? ) . I usually avoid all bread to dodge future cravings but I guess it's good to know there is an option. How's the taste compare to traditional bread?
  • jaketwin123
    Options
    yes the dark triangles,ive always preferred heavy brown bread so these are great for me,normally one half is enough every week or so,dont know if you have seen but put the nutri content on this thread
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    For most there wouldn't ever be anything wrong with whole wheat flour, but for me, and others like me, it creates inflammation (as @anglyn1 mentioned) that leads to pain. This has been MY experience with it.

If you can consume it without a noticeable pain response, that's wonderful for you!
  • Ringbearer2
    Options
    Wow, I'll have to look more closely! The Lidl bakery here doesn't post nutritional info, but I've seen rolls that look like what you described.
  • Ringbearer2
    Options
    By the way, do you get the "Deluxe" brand cheeses at your Lidl this time of year? They are amazing.
  • jaketwin123
    Options
    no ive never looked,what type,i loveeeeeee cheese.i had to go online to see the nutritional info,them rolls are very filling,i have half their supposed to be fab toasted with cheese/tuna
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    For me they wouldn't work because I have an intolerance to wheat/gluten and avoid soy products for health reasons. But for someone who doesn't have those same restrictions, they look like they could be good to get your bread fix.
  • jaketwin123
    Options
    i didnt realise so many people are intolerant to wheat/gluten,i can see why a low carb diet would be good for health reasons
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm not celiac, but I avoid anything when wheat is on the lable too.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    i didnt realise so many people are intolerant to wheat/gluten,i can see why a low carb diet would be good for health reasons

I kind of naturally fell into a low carb diet when I stopped eating Gluten. I'm not one to really eat packaged foods, so replacing things like bread and snacks with Gluten free options isn't really a thing for me. Once I ditched wheat/gluten, my diet naturally fell to less than 100g of carbs, most days it was between 50-75g. I'm now attempting Keto and can actually maintain at 50g gross carbs. It was a natural progression for me really.
  • Ringbearer2
    Options
    no ive never looked,what type,i loveeeeeee cheese.i had to go online to see the nutritional info,them rolls are very filling,i have half their supposed to be fab toasted with cheese/tuna

here they have a lot of types; English and Scottish cheddars, delicious soft French cheeses, GrNa Padano. Lidl usually only has them at Christmas and Easter. Also the leg of lamb and entrecôte you get get at this time are very good and well priced. I love me some Lidl at holiday time :).