50-100 a day weight loss ??

Options
jaketwin123
jaketwin123 Posts: 55 Member
hi,im new to low carbing been doing it realaxed 2 weeks serious the last 2 weeks

i aim for no more than 25 a day mostly hit 13-18 net

last 4 weeks ive lost 6kgs was 242lbs to start so away to go so am now 224,but am interested for those that have a much higher carb limit,do you find it pretty easy,do you lose much weight,how long have you been doing it

many thanks

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Imo (from someone who is considered to be zero carb), anything under 150 is effective for weight loss. No one has to go as low as me, and I do it for the health benefit. I recommend you play with your numbers and find the level that's sustainable for you, and where you're still losing and feeling good without food cravings. It takes time to find it, but what else do you have but time! Low Carb is a pretty big range to work with!

Congratulations for your success so far!
  • jaketwin123
    Options
    thanks,i know some people have mentioned my rate is low but at the moment it works for me,i just cant imagine aiming for 100 and having trouble finding a good varied diet,also i think i would go over 100 but as i stick low i find im less tempted if that akes sense

at you are 0 did you find yo lost weight quickly ??
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I usually am between 50-70 grams a day (gross, not net) and get most of my carbs from vegetables. I am pretty happy, not often hungry, and am losing pretty steadily. I feel like this level requires minimal upheaval and is sustainable. I track calories also, and average about 1500/day. Add me if you like!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I've now lost fifty one pounds in a year. I don't believe zero carb leads to faster weight loss, at all! At least that's how it's been for me. But the lower carb I went, the better I felt (fibromyalgia pain is almost nonexistent! Wonderful motivation!!) And still do. If I eat a higher carb day (higher for me is a 30 gram day) I will have increased pain! So, I don't!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight at around 100g/d carbs. I would sometimes dip in the sub-50 zone for a while, but I didn't really like the side-effects of ketosis. Some people love it.

The level required seems to be a function of 1) insulin resistance, and 2) magnitude of insulin response to a glycemic load.

If you like science, here's a recent study that sorted people by their insulin levels:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26638192/

What happened? Those with the lower insulin levels lost more weight on a higher-carb diet (200g vs 50-80g). They even lost more weight than the high insulin / low carb group.

I just like the increased flexibility ~100g gives me. I can sustain it for life, which I plan to. :)
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I usually hit around 30 carbs. I don't think lower carbs means faster weight loss in people who don't have insulin resistance or diabetes. I do think it makes you have less cravings and therefore to naturally keep a lower calorie level. Plus it's a little easier to eat 2-3 times the amount of a carby item like cereal or chips than it is to accidently eat 3 times the steak or eggs or whatever you intended. lol
  • jaketwin123
    Options
    really interesting comments,yes i can see how higher carb would make sense and deffo more longterm substanable
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Unless you have some metabolic issues, going very low carb may not help with weight loss. Just play around with it and find your sweet spot. For some it is <10g, for others it is closer to 80g, around 150g, and some lucky people find there is no benefit to restricting carbs at all.

I do better with weight and overall health when carbs are very low, below 20g. It really varies between people.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I lost weight quickly when I went down to keto levels, but I only did it for around a month, so I don't know how much of that weight loss was water..

I stay under 100g now, usually hover between 50-70g Total carbs, 18g of those carbs come from psyllium husk powder i have everyday, which helps tremendously in the toileting department, so am loathed to stop taking it..

I lost around 3-4kgs in that month I was keto. Right now I'm losing .3kgs a week, which isn't too bad considering I'm 3kgs away from goal.

Does anyone know how much I'm losing in lbs, the ounces thing throws me off. .3kgs = ?lbs
  • jaketwin123
    Options
    3kg = 6.6 lb im in the uk we use all sorts,stones,pounds,kg etc
  • jaketwin123
    Options
    and very well done
  • Christine_72
    Options
    3kg = 6.6 lb im in the uk we use all sorts,stones,pounds,kg etc

You missed the decimal point in front of the 3 :wink: I'm losing point 3 kilo a week .3. I've done the conversion and it comes to 10.50 oz whatever the F that means.

I'm in Australia, pints, ounces, pounds and gallons etc are chinese to me lol
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    16 oz. equals a pound. Lol! I'm the opposite, your kg. get me! I know the math, just wish all were the same!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    16 oz. equals a pound. Lol! I'm the opposite, your kg. get me! I know the math, just wish all were the same!

So it's kinda close to .5lbs a week? So sorry Jake for derailing your thread. I'll shut up now.. after i get an answer :tongue:
  • jaketwin123
    Options
    ha ha 6.6lb so your nearer to 7,cant believe i didnt see the point,thought 3kg was a lot in a week,you not derailing carry on,
  • Christine_72
    Options
    ha ha 6.6lb so your nearer to 7,cant believe i didnt see the point,thought 3kg was a lot in a week,you not derailing carry on,

I'm obviously not Englishing properly this morning lol I lost 3-4kgs in 4 weeks of keto, so roughly 2lbs a week.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I started around your weight a few years ago and lost my 80lbs in 8 months. I wasn't counting carbs but purposefully limited carby foods for improved insulin response. Now you can see macros on MFP so I looked back at my diary and I was getting 75-100 carbs each day.