Low Carb Office Snacks

Options
T1DCarnivoreRunner
T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
I'm trying to plan ahead for next month... my birthday is coming up. As the custom in our office goes, people bring in snacks to share on our birthday. Often people bring donuts, but I am not going to bring something in that I personally won't eat. What are some low carb suggestions?

A few important things:
1. These would be sitting out on a counter all day, so nothing that is going to spoil quickly if not refrigerated.
2. There isn't a tremendous amount of space, but there is an electrical outlet and I have a crock pot. For the space I can use, a crock pot, paper plates, and plastic forks would fit.

Something I've done in the past for a different event bringing in food is crock pot scrambled eggs w/ cheese, green peppers, and onions. But that takes a few hours to cook and I bring that in on inventory day for office staff (we do a pot luck type thing that day) because I'm usually there several hours before everyone else and I can bring in a crock pot, a plastic container with the ingredients all ready, and I can just dump it in and start it cooking to be ready by the time everyone else shows up. This time, I will not have any time between when I arrive and everyone else arrives, so I don't want it to be something that will take much time to cook. In other words, the crock pot should be used for keeping food warm, not for cooking, if it will be used at all.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    One dish that we have quite often at work (and home) that is almost no carbs is Buffalo Chicken Dip. I usually make it with 2 cans of chicken breast (you can use leftover chicken, and I have, but seriously the canned is fine), 2 blocks of cream cheese, 1/2 c of ranch dressing, 1/4 c of hot sauce, and 2 -ish cups of shredded cheese (your preference but I normally use Colby jack or Mexican blend). I've recently had it at a restaurant where they served it with blue cheese crumbles on top and it was so good I've started adding it to mine at home. Its normally served with tortilla chips but to keep it low carb I eat it with a spoon. You could also use celery if you like that. You can make this on the stove top or in the crock pot though I'll caution you that it seems to be spicier in the crock pot and you will need to stir occasionally. Also, in a pinch I've used sour cream and/or plain greek yogurt instead of cream cheese.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I second the buffalo chicken dip idea above! You can also use pork rinds instead of tortilla chips!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Veggie tray, cheese and sausage tray?

There are some low-ish carb recipes for Spinach artichoke dip-- my crock-pot recipe for it has a drained brick of frozen spinach, 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, a drained can of quartered artichoke hearts, cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese (a cup or so), salsa or chili peppers to taste. Throw it in the dip-sized crock pot and stir it every half hour or so. You might want to double or triple the batch.