Chocolate??

Options
ettaterrell
ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
Trying 85% chocolate for the first time and I don't like it.... Taste bitter to me... Who eats chocolate and what % do you like?

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I LOVE the Lindt 90%. I actually think the 85% is grossly sweet now that I'm used to the 90! I got some fancy French brand of 85% and I could not wait to finish that bar so I could get my Lindt back! lol

I eat 1 square of 90% with almond or cashew butter each night!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    What brand did you try? It's kind of like wine -- try a few to find one you like.

Some of my faves:
    • Trader Joe's Chocolate Lover's 85% -- not bitter, interesting fruity taste, and a bargain compared to most other bars.
    • Equal Exchange Organic Panama Extra Dark Chocolate (80% Cacao) -- smooooth!
    • Green & Black's Cacao Chocolate Bar, Dark 85% -- good and readily available.
    • Endangered Species 88%
  • wabmester
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    I eat 1 square of 90% with almond or cashew butter each night!

I'll do that with Baker's Chocolate (100% cocoa) -- counters the bitterness.
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Ohh now it might be better with the nut butter... And it was Lindt...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    amazon.com/dp/B005CUM0J2/ref=asc_df_B005CUM0J24226186?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=merbethomgarbhg-20&linkCode=df0&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B005CUM0J2&ascsubtag=6177934

I use one heaping teaspoon of this in my first cup of coffee each morning since it is to have the most health benefits per my wife.

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I bought the lindt 85 as well and do not like it. I have had other ones that were good. Maybe it's just that brand. Though I usually love lindt.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Ohh now it might be better with the nut butter... And it was Lindt...

I think the Lindt 85% is really sweet but that's because I'm used to it! It's kind of an acquired taste maybe. Also I don't sweeten my coffee or tea and I eat very little sweet things other than the 90% squares. I will agree with wabmester above, if you are near a Trader Joe's their 85% bar is sweeter and fruiter tasting than Lindt's and might be more palatable to you!

• jaketwin123
    jaketwin123 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    ive tried the high % choc and even though i also found it bitter i really dont know how so many of you can have a square and no more
    thats why i strict carb <20 carbs because i just couldnt have a peace,well done on being so disciplined
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    We don't have a trader joes sadly... Can I order online? And I don't eat sweets either for last 6 months I e had only a hand full of days I even had artificial sweets. Maybe it's just that brand and I can find a good one online.. It's not really important Ive just trying something different since I'm close to goal now. I ended up having a small piece of white chocolate and ughhh way way to sweet...
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    amazon.com/dp/B005CUM0J2/ref=asc_df_B005CUM0J24226186?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=merbethomgarbhg-20&linkCode=df0&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B005CUM0J2&ascsubtag=6177934

I use one heaping teaspoon of this in my first cup of coffee each morning since it is to have the most health benefits per my wife.

I've tried this chocolate sugar free syrup before and learned chocolate and coffee isn't for me hahahah. How ever the rest of the family loves it..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00N174MTO/ref=sr_ph_1_a_it?qid=1459200514&sr=sr-1&keywords=syrup
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I can't eat just one square of the very dark chocolate. It leads to more and more. I got used to the bitter taste too quickly. ;)

If I have chocolate it is usually in a fat bomb with cocoa, coconut oil and peanut butter. I will occasionally eat cacao nibs with nuts or coconut... these all tend to eating too much though. Last night I had 6 or 7 of my fat bombs... each one is one tablespoon in size!

I will sometimes use Krisda chocolate chips which use xylitol, but those have other problems associated with eating too many. ;)
  • RunawayCurves
    RunawayCurves Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I just can not have chocolate around full stop, I have given myself heart palpitations more than once from eating far too many cocoa nibs or 90% choc or raw choc. I love all chocolate to an unhealthy extent. For me only safe to consume choc of any description in singular portion preferably not at home. If there is some in the home I will eat it until it is gone. It all tastes too good to me.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I like Lily's chocolate sweetened with Stevia.

If you don't like stevia, I tried this 88% dark chocolate bar from Purdy's that I really like. The whole bar is 170 calories and 8g carbs (4g net) total. I usually have half for a nice treat.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Good book for those who think they'd eat too much chocolate:
    Eat Chocolate, Lose Weight: New Science Proves You Should Eat Chocolate Every Day
  • ClaireBearOz
    ClaireBearOz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you are wanting to wean yourself off the need for sweet food, stick with the 85% Lindt. As I became more used to not eating sweet things, I found I could taste "sweet" in odd places. For instance, adding milk to tea made it taste sweet, so now I drink it black.
    I now prefer the 90% Lindt as a special treat.
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I like Ghiradelli Midnight Reverie. I think it's 86%, but it's really creamy and doesn't taste bitter (to me).
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I have a little nightly ritual. I make a cup of chai tea, and while I'm drinking my warm spicy tea, I nibble a tiny square of 99% cocoa chocolate. I bite off a teeny sliver and let it melt on my tongue. Takes about 5 mins to eat the whole 2.34 gram square. Then I do the same with a 10 gram square of 90%, which takes about 10 mins to eat. It's a habit, I do it purely for pleasure, not because I need the fuel, but it's a much better habit than shoving cake in my face. I eat Lindt brand.

The 90% tastes really sweet to me after eating the 99% square, but not sweet enough that I want to keep eating it. Yes, the 99% takes some getting used to, but I think the big struggle people have with it is that they're comparing it to a traditional sugar added chocolate bar. To me, the taste experience is more comparable to enjoying the flavour of coffee.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    BalmyD wrote: »
    I like Ghiradelli Midnight Reverie. I think it's 86%, but it's really creamy and doesn't taste bitter (to me).

I agree the ghiradelli is very good
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Anything above 70% in Lindt is nasty.
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Green & Black organic 85. I recently tried the Aldi brand of 85 and it was very good. I do not Like the Lindt chocolate much.