How often do you poop?

Options
WholeFoods4Lyfe
WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
TMI question I realize.

I have a Hx of IBS so I have a tracker on my phone to track my BMs. Since switching to LCHF, I only go every 3rd day typically, and then I'll go like 3-4 times that day, and then won't go again for 2-3 days.

I'm not worried or anything, this just seems to me MY new normal. I'm just wondering if this is typical for this WOE or if I'm just a special snowflake :)

Replies

• FocusonHealthy
    FocusonHealthy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I didn't go at all for NINE days (everyone told me to take Miralax but I didn't feel bloated or bad so I kept feeding my body good food and let it work itself out) and then three days in a row (and twice in one day). I'm very irregular but unless I feel bad, I let my body do what it wants
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I go about every other day. Depends on what I eat....
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    My husband poops all the time. He also always has very stinky gas. Sometimes we can't even make it home from a restaurant without him writhing in pain because he has to poop so bad. That just sounds horrible to me, I'd rather only go every few days. I have no discomfort, no gas to speak of. Of course, his way is normal to him so nothing I tell him will sway him to change his WOE.
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Now that I think about it, I'm not very gassy anymore either...now my husband like you mentioned is awful!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    With magnesium? Every morning. :smile:
  • embracingashley
    embracingashley Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I take mag twice a day as recommended by my doc and I go at least once a day if not twice. It's not a lot and I am not nearly as uncomfortable as I used to be now that I think of it.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    "Normal" is one BM per meal, roughly 24 hours after, so typically, three times a day. Read this book:

Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal, by Mary Roach
    http://www.maryroach.net/gulp.html
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    1-2X/day typically. I also supplement with magnesium citrate so I think that's definitely part of it.
  • jaketwin123
    jaketwin123 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    dont take any supplements and atleast once a day
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Every one or two days, sometimes skips a day, sometimes twice in a day. I don't really keep track anymore. Before LCHF 3x a day.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    When I started keto 6 months ago - I had a very predictable normal 2 per day - first thing in the morning and 11am. Then I started getting hit with intermittent constipation [never had that problem before]. In the last 2 months, I'm down to once a day 48% of the time [twice a day the other 48% and zero sometimes], and the time of day is more random. I'm not happy with the change and take magnesium citrate, lost of psylium and salt to help. On the good side - no gas, and nasty stuff any more.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    With 400 mg magnesium citrate at night, and Bididobacterium infantis probiotic twice a day: every morning. This is a huge improvement. I had an issue long before I started keto, and, honestly, it's impossible to tell if keto made it worse.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    TMI question I realize.

I have a Hx of IBS so I have a tracker on my phone to track my BMs. Since switching to LCHF, I only go every 3rd day typically, and then I'll go like 3-4 times that day, and then won't go again for 2-3 days.

I'm not worried or anything, this just seems to me MY new normal. I'm just wondering if this is typical for this WOE or if I'm just a special snowflake :)

@michelle172415 after 40 years of serious IBS how often was all over the board for the first 90 days and it was 180 days after starting LCHF before it was more or less daily.

Now 1.5 years out it is typically one or twice daily but nearly every time when my weight ticks up a few pounds for a few days going regularly there is a build up that works it way out in a big way from time to time.

The IBS has been gone for a year now but movements still have a mind of their own but unlike for 40 years my brain can tell them not now and they will not ask again for some time.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    When I started keto 6 months ago - I had a very predictable normal 2 per day - first thing in the morning and 11am. Then I started getting hit with intermittent constipation [never had that problem before]. In the last 2 months, I'm down to once a day 48% of the time [twice a day the other 48% and zero sometimes], and the time of day is more random. I'm not happy with the change and take magnesium citrate, lost of psylium and salt to help. On the good side - no gas, and nasty stuff any more.

@Bob314159 Can I ask what your carb limit is, and how much psyllium a day do you take? I take psyllium too and it packs a massive carb punch :(

OP with the help of magnesium, probiotics and lately psyllium husk powder, I go every day. I need to ensure this, as if i miss more than 2 days I experience terrible pain and vomiting, so adding more carbs (fibre) to combat this, is worth it to me.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I poop whenever I need to. I don't really keep track or count. It's not super frequent. But, it's not multiple days apart either.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I aim for 30 carbs - often get to 50. It's hard to get fiber without carbs- an annoying balancing act. I almost never log psyllium - I'm hoping its net carbs are zero. Since I'm not sure - I hesitate to take too much. Take 2 to 4 heaping tablespoons a day. I was taking psyllium for years before going keto.
    @Bob314159 Can I ask what your carb limit is, and how much psyllium a day do you take? I take psyllium too and it packs a massive carb punch :(

OP with the help of magnesium, probiotics and lately psyllium husk powder, I go every day. I need to ensure this, as if i miss more than 2 days I experience terrible pain and vomiting, so adding more carbs (fibre) to combat this, is worth it to me.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    I aim for 30 carbs - often get to 50. It's hard to get fiber without carbs- an annoying balancing act. I almost never log psyllium - I'm hoping its net carbs are zero. Since I'm not sure - I hesitate to take too much. Take 2 to 4 heaping tablespoons a day. I was taking psyllium for years before going keto.

Yep it does has have zero net carbs. 20g has 18g carbs and 18g Fibre. Do we digest all of those calories and carbs, i wonder??
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    It used to be pretty consistently once a day. Then a couple years ago I started an MS med that messed with my GI system and I started going a few times a day. Now it seems like I'm back to once a day for the most part (after starting LCHF).
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    On Metformin:

With Imodium - nothing special.
    Straight - 1x daily (23 hours, uninterrupted). Priceless!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You're supposed to poop 1-2 times a day. If not, its not good for your digestive system/health.

If you want to hear the scoop on the poop, listen to the 18 minute presentation, Milissa Ramos, the "Poop Whisperer" on TedMed Talks:

The answer to your health is in your poop | Melissa Ramos | TEDxDistilleryDistrictWomen

She is so funny, but yet super informative. She has diagrams, of several types of poops, like "pencil thin" poop, "rabbit" poop, "loose" poop, "healthy" poop, color, sinkers vs. floaters, etc. She talks about probiotics, low fat diets=bad, stress, magnesium, sugar, etc. and how it results in constipation/diarrhea, squatty potty, etc.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg

P.S. If your not pooping everyday, you should look into homemade fermented foods like pickles, sauerkraut, and many others. Go to youtube and look for; "How to make fermented".