Hate eggs, hate yogurt - other breakfast ideas?

Options
BarbieAS
BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
Any ideas for a lower-carb breakfast that doesn't involve eggs or yogurt?

I'm not keto right now, but I'm keeping total carbs below ~50-60 per day and trying to avoid grains entirely. I also really hate eggs and yogurt. I've been breaking my "no grains" rule for a slice of low carb bread so I can make cheese- or peanut butter-toast for breakfast, and I'd really like to kick that but I just don't know what to have for breakfast otherwise. All my other favorite breakfasts are chock full o' grains or too fruit heavy to be friendly to my carb goal for the day.

In the past when I was keto I'd just skip breakfast because I typically didn't get hungry til later in the day, but these days I need something in the morning. And I know lots of people are like "you don't have to stick to breakfast foods! have a salad! have a steak!" but I just can't mentally deal with that, haha. I need something at least somewhat breakfast-adjacent.

I just need some inspiration! Help please! :)

Replies

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Bacon, sausage, ham, steak and smoked salmon are all great "breakfast" proteins. You could add in some fried breakfast veg: mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, zucchini, or peppers. And add in a portion of cheese if you do dairy.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Avocado!!!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options
    Bacon, sausage, ham, steak and smoked salmon are all great "breakfast" proteins. You could add in some fried breakfast veg: mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, zucchini, or peppers. And add in a portion of cheese if you do dairy.

Just call it a deconstructed omelette :wink:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    There are some great bacon and avocado fat bombs out there, too.
  • embracingashley
    embracingashley Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I usually have a protein shake for breakfast.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite low enough carb for my day to handle fat bombs of any kind, though I do love me some avocado and bacon and fully incorporate them whenever possible :).

Just call it a deconstructed omelette :wink:

The "deconstructed omelette" has definitely inspired me! At first I was kind of "so, just a piece of sausage with a side of some veggies? could work, I guess...." but then when you said omelette I thought of kind of all mixing it up into sort of a potato-less hash (or egg-less omelette, as the case may be). That sounds lovely AND make-ahead friendly, which is a huge plus! I'm picturing asparagus and thick cut bacon with a little crumbled goat cheese and maybe some olive oil and balsamic, or breakfast sausage with peppers and onions topped with salsa and cheese and avocado, or maybe even some creamed spinach with mushrooms and bacon or sausage (and tomatoes with all of the above in the summer). Now I'm hungry :). Thank you all!!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options
    Yeah, you're on a roll, glad to have helped jump start your creativity, you've paid it forward because now I'm inspired with the bacon, asparagus and goat cheese :smile:

If you eat onion, that goes nice with diced zucchini and peppers for an egg and potato free breakfast hash with some meat & cheese. Mmmm now I want breakfast for dinner!
  • stanner0514
    stanner0514 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you like coconut, lately I've been toasting coconut slices (dried, from the store) in a pan, until golden brown and eat like cereal, with almond milk.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Make extra dinner the night before and eat the leftovers in the morning for breakfast. N. America is so 'stuck' on its 'breakfast foods' that all imagination goes out the window, lol. Do a crustless pizza for breakfast - best thing ever. Or tuna mixed with Patak's Hot Lime Pickle and a bit of mayo to stuff an avocado. My favorite breakfasts...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Abandoning the idea of "breakfast foods" is very liberating. Eat whatever you feel like eating that fits your goals.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    One of our favourite is bacon (made ahead) over sliced tomato and covered by cheese and grilled.

The coconut cereal sounds great! Bacon, asparagus and goat cheese! Yum.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    One of our favourite is bacon (made ahead) over sliced tomato and covered by cheese and grilled.

The coconut cereal sounds great! Bacon, asparagus and goat cheese! Yum.

Your breakfast sounds delightful. Add avocado and I'd be in heaven.
  • isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If you like coconut, lately I've been toasting coconut slices (dried, from the store) in a pan, until golden brown and eat like cereal, with almond milk.

I love this idea. I'll have to try it!
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Tablespoon of peanut butter and three slices of bacon. Not a lot of food but maybe that will be enough until lunch.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Oh, and don't forget to toss some diced or shredded radishes into your "hash." There are recipes abound for how to use them to be potato-like!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Sauté some ginger in oil, saute some chicken, then wilt some greens in there. Serve with some avocado sprinkle with salt (I prefer truffle salt :) )
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I prefer to skip breakfast and have coffee with MCT and butter, but how about bacon or sausage?