I broke down and cheated in a huge way today.... my observations.

Options
motown13
motown13 Posts: 688 Member
I was in a lumber yard when a guy I went to college with in 1982 recognized me..... we ended up going out to lunch.

This was my first cheat since starting LCHF, and it was a doozy!

He took me to lunch at a family member's sandwich shop and told me to take a seat and he would order for both of us....

He comes back to the table with ( 2 ) 10" Italian hoagies, which I absolutely love. Truth be told, I didn't tell him I was eating LCHF since this is just about my favorite sandwich in the world.... I used to eat these once a week.... a 14" sandwich.

They were unbelievably good! It was worth my first and only cheat since early January,

That is, until when I had finished about 5" - 6" of the sandwich, and it felt like somebody dropped a bowling ball in my stomach. I just could not eat more. It wasn't like it was a huge amount of food.... it just felt "different" when eating it compared to the old days.

After lunch it occurred to me, that if that was all I would have eaten way back when, I likely never would have become fat or developed diabetes.

Anyway, as great as the sandwich was, I don't think I will be doing it again just because my stomach still feels as bloated as it did 3 hours ago.

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Your fullness signalling hormones area working it sounds like. Your automatic calorie counter was just broken before I expect. :)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Your fullness signalling hormones area working it sounds like. Your automatic calorie counter was just broken before I expect. :)

That's an interesting concept. And sure enough, there's a discussion about it in the Wikipedia article on leptin.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Important lesson learned - good for you. In our high-paced world, I think we forget about listening to our bodies.
  • 60to35
    60to35 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Since starting this LCHF way of eating the changes I have felt are incredible. I am 49 years old and for the first time in my life I do not have times of the day where I am ravenously hungry, and my sugar cravings have disappeared. This coming from someone with lifelong disordered eating- not eating for days, bingeing, etc. I finally feel in control and no longer am afraid of losing control.
    You sound like you have have also conquered your diet. I hope it continues for both of us.