Able to Run 5K Earlier Than Planned... What Now?

Options
Jericha1992
Jericha1992 Posts: 80 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
The title spells it out pretty well. I did w7d2, but felt determined enough to just keep running. Ended up running the whole 3.1 miles. Still super duper slow, though.

Should I finish the program or jump right to a B210k?

Replies

• Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you feel. I would continue running 3 mi for couple weeks. Also you'll see how your pace improves.
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Well it might not work for you but I can tell you my plan. Today I finished w7d2 and after finishing next week I plan to still get up for my Monday Wednesday Friday morning runs and plan to simply run 5ks and on Tuesday and Thursday I plan to start C210K in the afternoons
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @Jericha1992 Since in your own words you are " Still super duper slow " I would suggest spending some more time running the 5km distance and let your body get comfortable at the distance. Not sure of your Run Schedule but I would suggest at least another 2 weeks ( or 6-8 runs ) and then cut back the distance by 1-2 km per run for 1 week then ramp backup to the 5km distance for a week.

Like @rldeclercq4 said he plans on continuing to do some 5k's before moving onto the C210K program and @Aine8046 said run the 5k's for a while to see how your pace improves.

Ultimately the goal is to stay Injury Free and that is what cut backs help with as they give the body a time to heal the little nicks and niggly injuries you have ( but don't realize) before they become an issue. Sometimes you will read in the forums where someone has struggled and they repeat a week - without realizing it they are letting there body heal and catchup to their Cardio-vascular system, which is similar to a cutback week.