Grenade low carb killa

Anyone tried these only 3g of carbs per bar and 27g protein. Any good on keto?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Personally, I would avoid them like the plague, but others might be okay with them - especially as an emergency food situation, but I would not ever suggest anyone use these often or in place of real unprocessed food.

Choosing and example from the web page at random:

Nutrition Per Serving (60g)
    Calories 210
    Calories from Fat 70
    Total Fat 8g
    Saturated Fat 4g
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 5mg
    Sodium 170mg
    Potassium 35mg
    Total Carbohydrate 20g
    Dietary Fiber 7g
    Sugars 1g
    Sugar Alcohol 11g
    Protein 23g
    Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 15%, Iron 4%

CARAMEL CHAOS
    MILK Protein (Calcium caseinate, MILK protein isolate, WHEY protein isolate), MILK Chocolate with (Sweetener: Maltitol, Cocoa Butter, Whole Milk Powder, Cocoa Mass, Emulsifier (SOY Lecithin), Flavours) 18.3% Gelatine Hydrolysate, Bulking Agent (Polydextrose), Humectant (Glycerol), SOY Crisps (SOY Protein, Tapioca Strarch, Salt) SOY Crisp (SOY Protein, Fat reduced Cocoa, Tapioca Starch) Cocoa Butter, SOY Oil, Skimmed MILK Powder, Palm Fat, Sweeteners (Xylitol, Sucralose), Flavours, Fat Reduced Cocao, Salt, Emulsifier (SOY Lecithin)

Okay, first, they are 20 grams TOTAL carbs. While the dietary fiber has arguable effect on blood sugars, most folks find that at least half, if not all, of the sugar alcohols affect them. I don't know where the 3 grams comes from, as 1 gram is easy - sugar. 7 grams are fiber - generally not counted. 11 grams are sugar alcohols - can be bad for some folks, particularly since the one is highest concentration - Maltitol - is known for gastro-distress. Xylitol is supposed to be okay overall, but sucralose triggers migraines and massive food cravings for me.

Secondly, this is a huge chunk of protein, relatively...If you're eating other protein rich foods, you could end up having some proteins convert to glucose.

Also, for me, the SOY would be a huge concern. Soy messes with most people's hormones, and it causes massive gastro distress, inflammation, weight gain, and increased food cravings for me.

So, in an emergency, would this be better than a power bar? Yes. Would I want it in my diet regularly? No. So, again, it's up to you, but I wouldn't rely on these for anything in particular other than a pinch in a emergency situation.

If you're one of the lucky ones without cravings, gastro problems, soy reactions, metabolic complications, etc., you might give them a try, but I'd keep your quantity low just in case you have reactions to them.
  • Hermie123451982
    Hermie123451982 Posts: 190 Member
    You have the wrong stats these are the carb killa bars at only 3g of carbs per bar not the normal bars like you have quoted as 20g a bar.
  • KnitOrMiss
    This was the link I followed:

https://www.grenade.com/us/grenade-carb-killa

If you have another link that works, please send it. When I try following the UK links, they error out.
  • KnitOrMiss
    And generally UK labels leave out both the Fiber and the Sugar Alcohols, but they are still there, if not reflected in the label the same as US labels.

That being said, I went to the UK Amazon page, and the bars there say 1.5 gram impact carbs, which still comes out as I calculated above...
  • KnitOrMiss
    And checking further, the non-low-carb bars have 45 grams of carbs, 11.5 grams of sugar per 100 grams of product.
  • cleoglampuss
    cleoglampuss Posts: 1 Member
    I'm a bit confused here. When inputting the carb killa bar into my food diary, it's come up as 14g of carbs. Is that right? I only ate one because I had a sweet craving, and I thought it wouldn't effect my allowance.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    I'm a bit confused here. When inputting the carb killa bar into my food diary, it's come up as 14g of carbs. Is that right? I only ate one because I had a sweet craving, and I thought it wouldn't effect my allowance.

Everything in MFP is user entered. Doesn't mean it's right.
    And sugar alcohols aren't free carbs really.
    The idea of using net carbs is to allow more vegetables not sweets.