Itching

Options
flower1964
flower1964 Posts: 12 Member
Does anyone else have horrible itching skin? It's mostly my hands, palms and on top. Can being in ketosis cause this?

Replies

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Ketosis can lead to dehydration if you don't properly manage your fluid intake and electrolyte balance and dehydration can lead to dry, itchy skin. Mucous production also decreases, which can lead to dry eyes too.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Could it be a contact dermatitis as is only on your hands?

• wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Speaking strictly for myself, I hand a ton of skin problems from candida and other gut issues that went away when I went ketogenic.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat; I spent the majority of yesterday trying to scratch my skin right off. Even though I drink plenty - over a gallon of fluids a day - my electrolytes are or were out of balance though as I had not been getting as much potassium nor magnesium as usual due to being out of town for 3 days (we ate out every meal and I forgot my mag glycinate). Hopefully (PLEASE, God!) now that I've had a couple of days to get it back in line the itching will diminish.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I didn't think about my skin issues brig from diet but maybe that's my problem too. I t itch a lot and have a large patch of eczema pop up one of my breast that's been there for over a month... How ever I've been on the diet since Sept.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Me too. Candida flares up when I get into ketosis. I am working to balance gut flora with probiotics, using coconut oil, fluids and balancing my electrolytes. Cracked lips and some skin issues on lower legs. Getting better with time and some help from my doctor. No starch, no sugar diet helps a lot but it sometimes get worse before better.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    There is a Keto Talk podcast that discusses that ketosis can change the pH in an individual causing dermatitis or a temporary flare of yeast issues. People report that it subsides over time.
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Hohhot cracked lips... I feel ur pain!
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Do you have the link to the podcast?
  • flower1964
    Options
    If I ever discover what's causing my itch I will be sure to post about it.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    This happened to me - but only temporarily.

It happened in a specific spot too - the tattoo on my forearm. The tattoo is over 2 years old so I don't think there was an infection - but I think it was dehydration. After increasing fluid intake and applying coconut oil on the spot for three weeks, it went away.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I didn't think about my skin issues brig from diet but maybe that's my problem too. I t itch a lot and have a large patch of eczema pop up one of my breast that's been there for over a month... How ever I've been on the diet since Sept.

I recall you had an off plan food or day not too long ago, dos the flare up occur around the same time?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Increase your sodium and consider adding a magnesium supplement. There are recommendations in the launch pad post about electrolytes.
    If sodium and magnesium can clear up my dads agent orange rash, I bet it'll help you.
    I also bet you'll find you have other symptoms of low electrolytes that you haven't yet noticed if you read the launch pad post
  • flower1964
    Options
    I know all about electrolytes and dehydration from years of training for breast cancer 3-Day walks. I have just started magnesium, hopefully it helps. How do you know what type of magnesium to use? There are various types. Citrate, oxide etc.
  • ettaterrell
    Options

I recall you had an off plan food or day not too long ago, dos the flare up occur around the same time?

No it showed up on breast about a month ago just huge scaly rash (looks like my daughters eczema).
    But lord it itches!!!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    My eczema has gotten worse. I itch like crazy on the tops of my fingers, just below my elbows, and my inner arm. All the places I got eczema as a kid! I find that I feel better (less itchy) with tons and tons of water, increased sodium intake, and using hydrocortisone or coconut oil 2x - 3x per day.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    flower1964 wrote: »
    I know all about electrolytes and dehydration from years of training for breast cancer 3-Day walks. I have just started magnesium, hopefully it helps. How do you know what type of magnesium to use? There are various types. Citrate, oxide etc.

I believe one of the best forms for absorption is glycinate, but any form that ends in "ate" is a better absorbing form. Oxide is about the worst you can do.
    Also, you have to take enough. Which can be different for different people and apparently can even change... I've been taking about 1000mg of carbonate for many weeks now and suddenly the last few days, it was going right through me! So I cut back and now about 700mg seems right.
  • flower1964
    Options
    Thank you to everyone that's been posting.
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Thanks