StrongLifts 5X5

Squat: 5X5 100 lb.
    OH Press: 5X5 70 lb.
    Deadlift: 1X5 155 lb.

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    @sherocks98 and @pezhed - Thanks. :blush:

Last lifting session before the meet. Did squat, bench then deadlift at the gym even put up with the cage for the bench. Went pretty well though squat felt the most challenging. Think the numbers might work well for my first attempts.

Chapter 9: First Attempts

warm up for squats - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x6 @ 135
    Squats 3x1 @ 185 with belt

warm up for bench - 1x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 75, 1x5 @ 95
    Bench 3x1 @ 105

warm up for deadlift - 1x6 @ 135, 1x5 @ 185
    Deadlift 3x1 @ 225 with belt

Imagined the cues on them all. Still a little nervous about that and all of the details that will be different, like the number of people around. Wish I had family or something nearby so that I didn't have to do the whole event alone. I would like to get video but that may not be plausible since no one is going with me. Will have to wait and see. Anyways, no more lifting until Sunday. I have off from work Wednesday and Thursday, then Saturday and Sunday. Almost like a mini vacation except that one work day in between. Will be nice and I just have a few things to get ready (food and such).

It's almost here. Then will have to figure out what I do next.
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    @DawnEmbers good luck! It's very exciting, looking forward to hearing how it goes.
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'll be thinking of you on Sunday, @DawnEmbers !

I hope it all goes well - I'm sure it will. Just try to have fun and enjoy the experience! If I didn't live on the other side of the Atlantic I'd come along and cheer you on :smile:

• Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Good luck, @DawnEmbers, I'm sure you'll do awesome - you've been working hard :)
    @pezhed - don't stress about the OHP - you'll get there. Smaller bar maybe, like an aerobic bar. They're lighter and you can add weights to them until you've progressed to 45...then switch to the big bar.

Today: Warmup, 10 min

Squat: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x115 --- I raised this up 5 lbs today and it was fine. I'll stay here for probably 2 weeks or so before the next bump. This method of moving really slowly up is working well for me so far.

OHP: 2x5x45, 5x5x70 --- also raised this up 5. It was a little tough at first, but it didn't require long rest periods, so I'm comfortable sticking with it. Feels about right. I'll stay here for 2 weeks or so as well.

Dead: 1x5x130 --- 5 up on this one, too. It was hard for me, but not impossible. Maybe stick here for a week, possibly 2.

I didn't want to get out of bed, I was sleeping so well!
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I pretty much started over on SL5x5 yesterday after being away from the gym for over a month, aside from 1 or 2 half-assed attempts during March. I have determined that if I want to do lifting along with all the other things I like doing (volleyball, jogging, skateboarding, roller skating, biking, gardening, fishing, hiking, hanging out with my kid, coaching her volleyball team, etc....), I will have to aim for 2x/week lifting instead of 3. Trying to get there 3x per week was really difficult, and I felt like I was always on the verge of completely giving up on lifting or having to give up something else.

Anyway, so yesterday I did:

Squats: 5x5 @ 45 lb -- this was actually great because I could focus on form and get below parallel, whereas before I was really struggling to hit parallel doing 80 lb.
    OHP: 5x5 @ 45 lb -- will probably be stuck at 45 for a while, but that's ok. It's better than 0.
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 105 -- figure I can up this maybe 20 lb next time instead of 10. I <3 deadlift. :)

Current plan is to hit the gym Thursday on the way home from work, and if that fails, then Saturday at noon. My gym has crap hours (closes at 1 pm Saturdays, is closed Sundays, grrr... I like supporting small local business but closed Sundays is really annoying) so fitting a workout in on the weekend is tough.

I also now have a 15 lb and a 30 lb kettlebell, plus some 8 lb - 20 lb dumbbells. These are for days that I'm supposed to lift but can't get to the gym. At the very least I can do some stuff at home to keep the momentum up.

Long story short, getting back at it, and trying to set myself up for success rather than for failure. :)
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    BethAnnieT wrote: »
    I pretty much started over on SL5x5 yesterday after being away from the gym for over a month, aside from 1 or 2 half-assed attempts during March. I have determined that if I want to do lifting along with all the other things I like doing (volleyball, jogging, skateboarding, roller skating, biking, gardening, fishing, hiking, hanging out with my kid, coaching her volleyball team, etc....), I will have to aim for 2x/week lifting instead of 3. Trying to get there 3x per week was really difficult, and I felt like I was always on the verge of completely giving up on lifting or having to give up something else.

I used to alternate weeks to do lifting 3x one week and 2x the next. On the 3x of lifting weeks, I made sure to do 2x cardio and vice versa. Some weeks my cardio is more just because I do stuff that's not planned (like gardening, biking, pick-up game of basketball with the kids, etc.). It worked well for me. I've been doing the 3x lifting for a few weeks now, but I think with the impending weather improvements, that may change. I'll prefer outdoors more.

• Ariadnula
    Options
    Tonight - nice empty gym due to the rain

Squats: 5x5 @ 66kg
    Deadlift: 5x5 @ 66kg - my back felt a bit dodgy after this. Need to watch my form
    OHP: 3/3/2 @ 23kg - left it at that as I was worried about the slight ache in my back...

Partly I think I was just really hungry and so gave up easily!
  • ninenines
    Options
    Yesterday I did a kettlebell workout, it had been a while, but so much easier now that I'm mostly recovered from my cold.
    KB Swing: 9x50 at 16kg
    Goblet Squat: 5x5 at 16kg
    KB Press: 1 x 6,5,4,3
    Pull up (2 bands): 1 x 6,5,4,3 - these felt really good!

This morning Stronglifts. Started out feeling good, but struggled a bit through the rows.
    SQ: 3x5 at 32.5kg
    BP: 5x5 at 34.5kg
    BR: 4,4,5,4,4 at 38kg
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    had a sort-of workout this morning in a gym that was completely bro'd out at 10:30 am, with filthy misogynist rap music and curlers in the squat racks and all. you'd think god created the male half of the species without even giving them legs, from the lifts being done. my actual purpose in going was to do bench press, but didn't really happen. no breakfast and still kind of tight from sleeping. plus i'd also decided today was the day i'd obsess about squats.

in theory it's week 3 on wendlers, and in theory that means i'm doing amrap for 90% of my 90% of my 1-rep maxes. har har.

bench: 65 was as high as i got, and i didn't try very hard as it didn't feel to me like i had my pecs into it. too much front delt, which is not what i want. so i left it at 3x5 after too many lower-weight sets trying to settle my form. idk if this is copping out, but i didn't feel like i wanted to waste my amrap workouts on form that was not going to get to the muscles i want.

squats: bleh, everything tight and too many glute/hip joint pinches. i stretched and warmed up and all but i never felt like i'd properly found my abs or my core so it was disappointing. i did about 5x45/45/45 front squats, and then went up to 50 and did a full 5x5. for back squats, only a couple of sets and i don't really ahve a memory or opinion now about how they went. there were some where the bar was feeling super-light again, and i think my tspine is okay, so there's that.

5x5 rows and 3x15 dimel deadlifts @ 65lb.

i just wasn't really feeling it much this morning.

eta: also, weight in squat shoes was 134.something, but then i didn't have as much water inside me as usual so idk.
  • sherocks98
    sherocks98 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    SL workout today..
    Squats- 5x5 -90lbs, didnt progress, still struggling!
    Bench- 5x3- 60lbs, improved but losing form after 3 reps.
    Rows- 5x5- 60lbs- felt better.

• pezhed
    pezhed Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    @canadianlbs I can't stand when the gym is packed with bros! It was soo nice this morning at mine because for some reason it was empty, unlike Monday.

Yesterday I ran a couple miles and biked around a lot.

Today I did SL workout A:
    Squat: 5x5 @ 65lb (this was getting harder, I think my quads are still tired from biking/squatting)
    Bench Press: 5x5 @ 50lb
    Row: 5x5 @ 70lb. I don't like my form on this as I'm not sure I'm actually completing the reps. I'm going to stay at 70lb until I am more comfortable.

I'm very tired today. So tired I almost typed "Thanks, Amanda" here the same way I end my work emails. Oi.

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Scale showed 130.4 just before 1 pm so made the 80 lbs lost mark, which was nice to hit even if there will be some fluctuations next week. Been a long journey so far but have amazing support both online and in person.

Had a bit of a rough day. Just felt off lately with being tired all of the time and mild nausea. Been doing light cardio lately, the elliptical for about 30 minutes. Thought I'd try to do a run but not super long yet. Bad idea. I didn't make it to the 42 minutes planned. Started okay but ended up stopping after less than 35 minutes. During the walk things got worse too. It wasn't tunnel vision or darkness but instead the opposite where it was like the brightness got turned up a lot. I was under trees but the plants on the ground were near neon in the brightness of their green color. I had to pause often, even sit on a log for 5 minutes. So, that was the closest I've ever been to passing out. On the way home, I bought a box of rice krispy treats and had one. Trying to get up to 1300 calories today and enjoying some dairy but head hurts plus nausea is making it a challenge just to eat.

Resting tomorrow. Doing laundry tonight. Need rest though so good thing I have two days off and not even going to do cardio tomorrow cause body is having a rough time right now.

Nice note: customer commented on my weight loss and said I was looking good when I stopped in to buy water. Was nice even when not feeling up to par.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    :o where did my workout get to?

i did amrap. and it was great but i'm super-tired now. deadlift 100/115/130, ohp 40/45/50 and bench 60/70/75. at least 6/7 reps on every set, and i think up to 9 on the first ohp.

so yeah. not used to volume like that anymore. the squats can bite me, may try tomorrow.

but no. i probably won't. So Much Deadlift.
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    Cardio yesterday - treadmill

Today:
    Warmup 10 min
    Squats: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x115
    Bench: 2x5x45, 5x5x75
    Row: 5x5x75

They all felt pretty good - I think it's close to the bump up for bench/row :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Trying out the fractional plates. So far, I love them!

SQ - 191 lbs 5X5
    BP - 126 lbs, 5/5/5/5/4. Had to do the roll of shame on the very last rep.
    BR - 116 lbs, 5X5

Pull-ups 5/3/3
  • idlecrush
    idlecrush Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - long time lurker, first time poster.

Yesterday was day 1 for me.

I should have started with more than just the bar, but this is my first time without a trainer watching and I wanted to make sure I had my form down. I'm still figuring out the rows. They feel awkward for some reason.

SQ - 45 lbs 5x5
    BP - 45 lbs 5x5
    ROW - 45 lbs 5x5

I didn't rest the 90 seconds between sets because they were pretty easy. I'm just easing myself into doing this on my own. I also worked on some assisted pull ups. I am trying to work towards doing an unassisted one.

• Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was having some knee twinges during my second set of squats, and I decided to just take my sneakers off. I haven't bought any lifting/flat shoes yet. I have very wide feet, so converse are too narrow, and tbh I am just lazy and don't want to shop for new ones. Anyway, knee pain went away! Woohoo!

SLs

Squat 5x5@165lbs
    OHP 5x5@65pds
    DL 1x5@185lbs

Very excited! So much so, that on the drive back to work on my lunch hour, I forgot to get lunch! lol
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    Squats: 5x5 @ 66.5kg
    Bench: 3x5 @ 31.5 kg and then 2 x5 @ 32.5kg

Then - I got bored, so did a couple of sets of three chin ups, some kettlebell swings, and 5x5 kettlebell rows using a 12kg.

And one day I will crack up at this iPad trying to add a capital to kettlebell....
  • ninenines
    Options
    I'm positive my glutes are firing when I'm doing Hip Thrusts because they actually feel like they are on fire.

SQ: 3x5 at 32.5kg
    OHP: 5x5 at 24kg. Only just squeezed out the last rep, but made it.
    HT: 5x5 at 30kg.
    DL: 1x5 at 60kg, 1x5 at 77.5kg. That's now three workouts at that weight and it's time to move up to 80kg, but I'm not sure. I'll have to see how the warm up sets go.