Wacky things to earn extra calories

auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
I wear a fitbit every day and it adds calories to my tracker based on how active I am. Most days I'm under for calories for the day, some days I'm way over and don't really care how many extra it gives. But some times I'm borderline and feel like doing a little more to give me some calories in the bank lol

I've found that to do that I'll do some rather or of character things for me to be doing late at night:

Random things I do for calories:
Walking in place (maybe not so weird)
Washing dishes
Folding and putting away laundry
Mop the floors
Walk up and down the stairs

Ok so some of those things need to be done though I usually put them off because I hate them, especially washing dishes. But if it gives me extra calories for hot cocoa I'm all for it :)

Anyone else have suggestions or random things you do to be more active?

Replies

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    This adds to my motivation to get a fitbit. :)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Giving blood burns 650 calories. :wink: But, I don't think that's something you can use as a last resort to get back under your calories.

Walking the dogs. Mowing the lawn. Cleaning the garage. Those are good ways to increase the burn.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Dancing!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Giving blood burns 650 calories. :wink: But, I don't think that's something you can use as a last resort to get back under your calories.

Walking the dogs. Mowing the lawn. Cleaning the garage. Those are good ways to increase the burn.

Does it really, I never knew that. I wonder how much donating platelets burns.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    It does, but not all at once. It's spread over the time it takes to replace the lost cells. It's basically the caloric cost for rebuilding what you have lost. I don't know for sure, but a quick google suggests 400-650 for plasma and I guess platelets as well. I guess it makes some sense, as it still costs the body a lot of energy to rebuild the lost cells.
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Until I hit goal, I didn't eat back my exercise calories. My trainer advised me to do this, because I was exercising to either eat more or to correct poor food choices and she wanted me to exercise to increase strength, flexibility, and aerobic health. I think I have a better relationship with exercise now, and if I cannot work out I don't worry about it.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    I wonder if I can donate plasma if I'm Keto and take Adderall? There's a place near me and they actually pay you a little to do it.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    In addition to earning your cocoa, you get a cleaner house. Win win!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    I would believe you meet the criteria for giving blood @Sunny_Bunny_. They don't ask about diet, only if you've eaten, as they prefer that you do eat before giving. The Adderall doesn't change blood cells, the way some medicines do (antibiotics being one of them), therefore is a safe medicine for donating blood. There's my PSA for this morning! Lol!

I've been reluctant to get a wearable device like fitbit. I don't enter exercise into mfp because of the added calories that show up. I haven't ever used them for adding more intake. I will do squats while brushing my teeth though!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    @Karlottap you can adjust mfp so that it doesn't add back in your calories, that's how I have mine set. I definitely don't need any excuses to eat more.

I love my Fitbit, it's definitely encouraging me to move more. I run up and down the stairs a lot more during the day to get steps in.
  • suesuarez
    suesuarez Posts: 69 Member
    I march in place while brushing my teeth
    I use the upstairs bathroom when I'm downstairs
    I walk around my classroom a lot while teaching
    I use my gazelle glider
  • ruffneck813
    ruffneck813 Posts: 98 Member
    I love my fitbit and it really helps keep me motivated to get my steps in. Also having my little Sister as one of my friends helps keep me motivated. I am not going to let her beat me, lol!
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    I used to count what amounts to daily activity for a normally active person.

Now that I am in the single digit pounds to lose or some friends say no pounds to lose zone, I can really only count straight up hard exercise.

I used to do that and loved my fitness band. It was a great motivator. Anything to stay focused is good!
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Standing desk...standing whenever possible since heart rate is elevated in this position