Sucralose / Splenda

Options
2»

Replies

• suesuarez
    suesuarez Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies!

Now I've read about a study (albeit with rats) that shows sucralose kills good gut bacteria leading to insulin issues. Sigh. I love my coffee with 2 Splenda and HWC. I find Stevia is too bitter. So I'm going back to black. I'll try reintroducing HWC without sweetener after awhile.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    This is a timely topic for me, since I just last week dumped a Costco-sized bag of Splenda down the drain. I don't think its use contributed to either weight gain or sweet cravings but I have been struggling with digestive issues for more than a decade, landing me in the hospital last month for a week. I have since adopted the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, designed especially for folks like me with Dr Jekyll/Mr. Hyde tummies. It prohibits Splenda; here's something from "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" which is the go-to reference for this WOE.

"Splenda (sucralose) has been extensively discussed and it is not allowed for several reasons.

First, most Splenda is packed in a filler called maltodextrin. This is a starch and is very difficult to digest. So it is not allowed on the diet.

Splenda, aka sucralose, is a sucrose-like molecule. Basically, they have added Chlorine atoms to sucrose to make it indigestible by humans. However, since it is not digestible by us, it does not get absorbed and passes down the GI tract. It is digestible by bacteria. So in essence, if you consume sucralose, you are sending down an energy source to the bacteria you are trying to starve. So sucralose is not allowed."
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Does anyone have a link to a source for the study that shows that bacteria can use sucralose? That would not surprise me, and I'd like to read the details. I'm a microbiology geek.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »

However, the crude substitute, Coffee + HWC, whipped with coconut milk + 1 drop liquid Sucralose + Bourbon, is still a treat!

LOL
    Your "crude substitute" still sounds like a treat that I would be happy with. ;) Thanks. :)

Let us know what you think... and if you have any improvements!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I don't think stevia would do the same since its not all foreign fillers, like splenda can be. I've tried it, and just don't care for it.

Yep, last summer was my nightmare come to life. Accepting that my one and only indulgence was working against me (when it shouldn't!) was hard. Obviously I allowed it to continue (hard headed). I backed away from here for a bit because of it! Once I did accept it, and eliminate the use, things went back to being good again. I felt good, and the scale began to drop again. It took four months before that twenty two pounds dropped, and I began losing new weight. I ,mentally, add this twenty two pounds to my total weight loss, because relose it I did!

I realize that this has happened to me before, too! It's clear to see, now, but I was a sad eater then. I had gastric sleeve surgery in 2010. I dropped coffee, and sweeteners then as well. I don't recall how long, but remember unexplainable weight increases. Never dreamed it was the splenda then!

The stuff is evil to me!

Evil is right. I remember you going through this too but I somehow missed the fact that it was 22lbs. That's just disturbing.
    This is a timely topic for me, since I just last week dumped a Costco-sized bag of Splenda down the drain. I don't think its use contributed to either weight gain or sweet cravings but I have been struggling with digestive issues for more than a decade, landing me in the hospital last month for a week. I have since adopted the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, designed especially for folks like me with Dr Jekyll/Mr. Hyde tummies. It prohibits Splenda; here's something from "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" which is the go-to reference for this WOE.

"Splenda (sucralose) has been extensively discussed and it is not allowed for several reasons.

First, most Splenda is packed in a filler called maltodextrin. This is a starch and is very difficult to digest. So it is not allowed on the diet.

Splenda, aka sucralose, is a sucrose-like molecule. Basically, they have added Chlorine atoms to sucrose to make it indigestible by humans. However, since it is not digestible by us, it does not get absorbed and passes down the GI tract. It is digestible by bacteria. So in essence, if you consume sucralose, you are sending down an energy source to the bacteria you are trying to starve. So sucralose is not allowed."

Interesting! I found a few studies on that, but I like Scientific American's article on it: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/artificial-sweeteners-may-change-our-gut-bacteria-in-dangerous-ways/
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yep, I sort of disappeared for a bit over that, and showed back up after dealing with it on the outskirts here. As the weight kept going up, I backed off here. I was sure people would think I had fallen into a carb binge, so I just continue to read, and you all helped me through without realizing what you had done for me! I've only mentioned it a couple of times since then, but I know someone out there may need to hear about it, so I put it out here when it seems appropriate.

Thanks!