Psyllium powder, count carbs or not?

Options
Christine_72
Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
I've read mixed reviews on google, some count the carbs and others disregard them because it is the "indigestible" kind...

20g of psyllium has:
  • 36 calories
  • 18g Fibre
  • 18g Carbs

Obviously 0 net carbs. What say you all? Obviously 18g of carbs if they count, is a lot to ignore.

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I don't count the carbs. If I were trying to lose weight I might count the calories. My rationale is that my body isn't using fiber as a carb. I may be getting some energy in the form of short chain fatty acids that are the byproduct of bacterial fermentation, and that is a good thing for blood sugar regulation.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I found an entry that had 0 carbs, but it feels like I'm cheating lol
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I know this is 2 weeks old now so hopefully you're getting on okay. Everything i've read that include psyillium husks always state they are carb free :)
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I don't count the carbs. If I were trying to lose weight I might count the calories. My rationale is that my body isn't using fiber as a carb. I may be getting some energy in the form of short chain fatty acids that are the byproduct of bacterial fermentation, and that is a good thing for blood sugar regulation.

^^^ This ^^^

Dan