Deserts

Options
Kellryn
Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
What are some very easy with not many ingredients low carb deserts that a teen aged boy can make?

I've never craved many sweets, so I'm not having any issues, but my very over-weight teen aged nephew who is doing this with me, said today that he is craving sweets. It might be more he sees all his friends and brother eating it or he's just used to sugar. He's lost a good chunk of weight already and he wants to continue with this, so if he can make himself some things during the week when I'm not there, that's what I'm after.

I made the both of us some sugar-free pudding using heavy cream for desert tonight, so will see how that goes. I just used the sugar-free pudding mix, so it has 5g carbs per serving. I know it's not the best desert, but I didn't want to leave him all week craving sweets and then caving when he's offered something from a friend.

Replies

• ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello is easy and you can sub in a cup of heavy whipping cream for one of the cups of water.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Heavy whipped cream with cocoa powder and some sweetener is very filling and easy to make
  • wankreas
    wankreas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I blend a few cashews, a couple of tablespoons of full-fat greek yoghurt, a half-cup of HWC and a little Splenda in my magic bullet and it's absolutely delicious! Rich, tangy and crunchy :)
  • Kellryn
    Options
    Nice ideas. I've already bought him most of those ingredients already too, so an added plus!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I love mashed avocado with cocoa, vanilla, HWC and stevia. It's like a chocolate mousse!

I also like to make trail mix with nuts, coconut and cacao nibs.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    If you can get him to go day by day (about 4 days) with out any artificial sweets. He might stop craving them. I can't eat any kinds of sugars besides what's in veggies or I will crave them. ... After a few days of giving them up cold turkey all cravings go away. I've tested this a few times on my journey and each time no matter the for of sugar I have cravings bad!! I currently going threw this but I'm almost at goal so not a big issue but having these cravings during weight loss isn't good! It makes loosing so much harder than it has to be... To me... Besides that there are many recipes online there's a blue bunny ice cream bar that's like 4 net carbs or somtging like that... I have an issue with buying this as u will want one every day or so till they are gone and really should be limited to more of a special occasion thing IMO.
  • Kellryn
    Options
    I'm not sure I can get him to go any amount of time without sweeteners. I told him at the beginning he needed to drink more water/tea instead of his gatorade and fruit juice. He's doing amazing with drinking bottles of water, but he is using the mio/crystalite flavorings for them. He actually brings them to school and drinks water everyday instead of the sodas. He does have diet sodas on the weekend as well. He's almost 16 so I don't want to make it too difficult for him. As it is, I've had to educate his mother about what she cooks him for dinner (that's working out good too, she texts me pics of what she makes lol).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    How low carb is he going?

I make a delicious choc pudding that contains yogurt, cottage cheese and choc/peanut powder Casein mixed in.

Or there are these:

http://screwedonstraight.net/keto-diet-peanut-butter-cup-fat-bombs/

http://low-carb.io/low-carb-chocolate-mousse-recipe/

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2015/02/low-carb-peanut-butter-chocolate-truffles.html

I don't add sweetener to any of these.

• Kellryn
    Options
    Christine, those look yummy. I might buy the ingredients and make them with him next weekend.
    When we discussed my new WOE, I told him if he cut out sugar and refined starches, he could start slow and aim for around 100g carbs a day. Well, he read some of my book, "Keto Clariety" and chose for himself to eat around 50g carbs a day. I didn't want him to go to low, he's a couple months short of 16, but he is very over-weight. I mean already obese. His doctor was fine with this when his mom called to talk about it.
    I just want this to be easier on him, he has a short attention spam, like most teenagers! I'm just lucky because he already loved meat and ALL vegetables.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some wonderful advice above ^^^^^!!

I just wanted to commend you for helping your nephew attain health, and while working on yourself too!! It's a great thing you are doing!! HUGE KUDOS @Kellryn!!
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Dry heat, sand, Gila monsters, armadillos, a few cacti, etc.

Lol, jk! Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

I'm pretty impressed with the things you can do with whipped egg whites and cream cheese. There are a few videos on YouTube for 3 ingredient cheesecake and whatnot.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    He can whip up a cup of hot chocolate with cocoa, almond milk and stevia. Even top it with whipped cream.

I am also one that usually recommends trying to forgo entirely because the cravings for that stuff usually just go away. It's like breaking an addiction, but he's a teenager and he's still new to it and it seems he's doing pretty well so far. I would give him that information. Explain it like addiction, but also let him know about the recipe options. If he's willing to try going without after understanding the cravings may just stop, then he can decide that on his own. He may do it later on. Who knows. But he's made so many changes already that I'd let him make the sweets for now and warn him they should be treated like treats still, meaning to have a small amount and that dessert isn't intended to be an everyday thing. And that those flavored waters also count as "sweets", and that he does have control over how much he allows his body to cont bur to be hooked on them.
    Anyway, sometimes we have to be ok with "better" even if we know near "perfection" would serve us well.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Yeah I can see where it would be hard for a 16 year old to go so hard core... I think 50 is great carb lot for him to me it's not to drastic (easy to do when u stole all breads,rice and pastas) IMO and give him time to adjust and see and feel the results of this woe. He might just take off running with it on his own. I agree with @Sunnt_Bunny_ on everything she said, just informing him of the benefits of things that he can ease into in time. Let him decide when he is ready but give him the information so when he is ready he can make the choice. I also agree your doing amazing helping him you might just save his future loosing the weight will do so much for his future
  • blacktie347
    blacktie347 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I like hot, flavored (sometimes decaf) tea with splenda (1 tbsp per 10 oz of hot water). Let it steep 5 minutes, then remove the teabag and stir.

I usually drink 2 cups after every meal/snack, so 7 times per day, which is a LOT of tea, but it's yummy, and it tastes like dessert.

HOWEVER, I count both the calories and the carbs from Splenda. It's 4 calories per tsp, so 12 per tbsp, and 1 gram of carbs per tsp, so 3g per tbsp. And with my diet, I consume around 42g of carbs per day from Splenda (and 168 calories, plus I count each teabag as 2 calories, so that's 182 calories from tea). This is ok with my LCHF diet, since I don't consume many carbs otherwise.

In any case, this might work as a low-cal, low-carb option for dessert for your nephew.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
  • tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Are berries not low carb? or am I remembering incorrectly. You could always make meringue without the jello, just use stevia, and the egg whites, and when they are cooled you could make eaton mess, break up the meringue in a dish add some low carb berries, and cover with whipped cream, give it a stir to make it a mess, and bobs your uncle, or in this case kelleryn is your aunt...... :wink: . ( or just strawberries and cream, summer delight.)
  • troutlilly
    troutlilly Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Before I wasn't low carb I would make "puddings" from a banana, unsweetened chocolate, and avocado. I have an immersion mixer so I think I'll make puddings again except with a lower carb fruit.
  • Kellryn
    Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I bought some SF jello, dark chocolate cocoa powder, coconut flakes, in addition to the heavy cream and stevia I already gave him. He loved the pudding, but I warned him, it may be low carb, but it was heavy in the calories. (he is not counting calories, I just wanted him aware it has 400ish calories a serving)

He's going to make more pudding and jello this week, he asked me to help him next weekend with the more difficult ones. They don't seem difficult, but I expect he just wants to make sure he does it right or wants help cleaning up after!

On a side note, he is absolutely loving the dinners. I've made us basil/pesto talapia, bacon wrapped asparagus, from scratch alfredo over zoodles, parmesan crusted chicken, a few other things since we've started. I'm learning the recipes as I go. ^_^

Thank you all again!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say you are a wonderful and caring aunt. He's lucky to have you :heart:
  • Kellryn
    Options
    Aww thank you! I'm actually really glad he is doing this with me. Not just that he needs something, it's more fun with someone. I've been searching for recipes that I can share between us. I don't think I'd care about cooking new things if it was just me.