Introduction

Options
I am new here. Started using the MFP app about a month ago, and was diagnosed in February.

Since my diagnosis, I have spent a lot of time reading about Diabetes and type 2, but am just getting started at actually figuring it out. The last five months have been about the basics for me, and I am still struggling with them, especially with exercise and travel.

Right now, I am just taking oral drugs -- no insulin. I am still trying to work out an exercise approach that I can sustain, and my exercise is going at best in fits and starts. Not a lot of forward progress.

So if anyone has hints concerning the basics, especially exercise and reading, I would be very happy to hear from you.

The good news is that I must be doing something right...when I was diagnosed in February, I had an A1c of 9.9 and BG of 280.
In June, my A1C was 6.2, and my fasting BG was 135. So I am making progress...

Replies

• robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to this support group. Joining MFP is one of the best decisions you have made. One of the frustrating things about Diabetes is that it is a very individual condition. What works for one person, may not work for the next. For that reason you should treat any prescriptive advice, no matter how well intentioned, with extreme caution. Having said that, there are some generally accepted principles which have proved effective for most people. It really is a matter of using trial and error to find what works for you and then sticking to that plan like glue. You've done exactly the right thing in taking time to educate yourself about diabetes.I suggest that you take the time to read over the various threads in this group whwere you will find lots of great information.When you're ready to ask questions, you will find lots of really genuine people in the group who will be willing to share their expertise and provide the support and encouragement you require. I wish you well on your journey to a healthy and active life and will try and help you in any way I can.
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi sshimeal,

Glad you decided to join us. The improvements you've already made, along with your methodical approach in educating yourself since your diagnosis, is very commendable. robert has offered sound advise. Have a poke around these threads
    and ask questions when you feel comfortable. Wishing you further success and good luck.

Welcome!

~Bob
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our group!

I was diagnosed 12 years ago. I didn't really take things seriously though until this past year as my sugars weren't that bad but over time they got worse.

For me, what works is a high protein, low fat, low carb diet although I do eat carbs just in moderation- for instance, I almost always eat fruit daily but usually skip pasta, pizza, pies, etc. I do love to have an ice cream occasionally or a fudge pop (sugar free).

I have recently fell in love with the elliptical machine- easier on the joints.

Good luck with everything- and ask lots of questions. What works for one though may not work for another.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I'd like to welcome you as well! It sounds like you're already seeing good results with the approach you've taken, although we always are looking for ways to improve. So keep working on healthy eating and exercise as those are two of the best ways to help bring down those numbers. Lots of good advice here and it's been of tremendous help to me as well! Good luck and you'll find lots of ideas and help here.
  • sshimeall
    sshimeall Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for the kind welcome and good advice gang. I have taken some time to read around today, and this seems like a good group. I will try to pitch in when I can as well...
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group and great progress on your A1C number.
    I am still trying to work out an exercise approach that I can sustain, and my exercise is going at best in fits and starts. Not a lot of forward progress.
    I had about a half dozen false starts before I settled into a regular routine. Typically I would read up on exercise and then go at it the next morning at 100mph. The day after exercising I would hurt for days and didn't try again for weeks. My arms hurt so bad I could barely lift a coffee cup to drink.

I ended the failed starts by slowing down. I would get up in the morning and walk around the block every day. Not much effort, but I did it every day. I then moved on to 2 blocks, a half mile, mile and eventually ended up walking between 1.5 and 2.5 miles every day (except for Sunday). Over time it turned into a regular routine.

I added resistance training in the same way by doing it in small increments. Initially doing a few push ups before walking. Over weeks and months I would add in another exercise or another set. Again, over time you will build up your routine.

Trying to tackle too much at once can be discouraging. By breaking it down into smaller pieces it makes the short term goals achievable. As you build your strength you build your self confidence. You end up wanting to do more instead of dreading exercise. As you have already realized, the key is finding a sustainable exercise routine.

All that said, exercise is secondary to a proper diet.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Another welcome from an absolute apprentice when it comes to learning about how to make this monster lay down and behave.

Since others have covered the food side, I'll point out a few discussions on the exercise.

You may have to wade through a few pages, but on the "2 hour post dinner" thread, there is an on-again-off-again discussion going on about exercise and the reports of its effects on the BG numbers. As a quick summery - it SEEMS to help the numbers over all. Some are seeing a steady improvement in the fasting, but almost universal cardio helps through out the day.

BigGuy hit it square on the head about getting started. Start slow, and build up. Since you said you travel, if you look through youtube, you could probably find some videos to give you ideas on what you can do that doesn't require a set type of equipment. Some of the routines don't require any equipment at all - just your body weight and/or your feet. Those could be ideal, because that goes with you where every you are. (And, as you shed the weight, then it makes it even easier to carry that "equipment" with. ::Grins::)

When you do start exercising, don't be surprised to see a mild spike a few hours after you exercised for a few weeks. That's from another recent thread "Exercise and BG readings" (or something similar). Though, the spikes should taper off as your body gets the idea that it IS going to work.

Good luck, and congratulations on the improvements you have seen already!
  • JoyceMccormack1958
    JoyceMccormack1958 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Swim. That's what has really helped me, I never eat all the exercise calories back though. Recently I haven't been swimming and I haven't lost any weight. I just need to get back into the swing of things - pressures of work etc.- It's nice and kind on joints and the calorie burn is good, whereas I can happily swim for an hour I couldn't jog for that length of time even if I wanted to. I was on a very high dose of Metformin, six 500mg a day. Since losing some weight my G.P. has cut down he dosage to 4 tablets a day and I feel so much better. However the point of this missive is exercise seems to be the key. My husband has lost a similar amount -he doesn't have diabetes though, he walks. We've got two dogs and he takes them out for a longish walk- about three miles- at a time two or three times a day. He keeps a pedometer in his pocket and some days he does about fifteen miles. So walk, or swim go for something gentle at first such a lots of small walks. I started swimming twenty lengths of the pool at first now I do sixty. Build up a routine but as they say in Italy 'piano, piano' gently, gently.

Eat a good balanced diet, include good helpings of salad/veg in your meals. Limit the treats, no exercise no treat is my motto. But do include the things you like in your diet else you won't stick to it. The lettuce leaves are fine as long as there is something nice to look forward to. Don't buy 'diabetic' foods they are full of all sorts of nasties. You can still eat anything as long as it is in moderation. These are the things that are working for us, I'm trying to follow a Mediterranean diet that was given to me when I was first diagnosed in Italy and it does include both bread and pasta but in smaller portions and lots of veg but limited fruit as its higher in sugar. Mainly it seems to be a matter of planning my meals and not just eating what I want when I want sort of approach. Yes I can have cake but only after dinner - likely to want less and only if I've got my exercise done. You will be inundated with advice but it isn't rocket science really, just eat a balanced diet, nothing is off limits, just eat/drink treats in moderation, gradually build up your exercise but above all make sure you include food that you really enjoy. Eat less, move more, plan your meals and include food that you really enjoy in your diet. Well that's my two penn'orth worth. Best wishes, life with diabetes doesn't have to be a trial- you control it and don't let the condition takeover your life.
  • JoyceMccormack1958
    JoyceMccormack1958 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Well done with improving your numbers. You are obviously doing something right. Keep going, things will fall into place as my son says 'baby steps' at first building up to 'giant strides' as you get more comfortable with the changes you're making.

Well done.