I'm still running....first 5K on Saturday

Options
Julie_Donahue
Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
Hi all!

I haven't been on this board for a while, but I am still running. I'm still not very fast, but I'm getting better. When I graduated from C25K in April, it took me 65 minutes to complete a 5K. I have now done it several times around 55 minutes. Last Saturday, on my final full practice run (outside, on pavement) I did it in 50:01. I averaged 3.77 MPH.

I have my first 5K this Saturday. It is the Alien Chase (Hey! I live in Roswell, NM and it's part of the UFO Festival!!). I know I have no chance of winning. (Last year, about 90 of 120 women running the 5K did it in less than 50 minutes.) But I am going to try to win the costume contest.

blogger-image--997601309.jpg

blogger-image--1465274081.jpg

I'm very excited about completing my first 5K, and I hope to run many more!!

Replies

• nolongerXXL
    nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You're going to rock it girl!!

I hope you do well in the costume contest!!!
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Good luck...and you ROCK that costume!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Julie, you're going to do great! That's a super costume. Can't wait to hear your results. Remember to enjoy it and tell us all about the experience.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I linked to your blog for another friend who wanted a costume idea for the Big Peach next year. It's so adorable. A mile ran is a mile ran and you're such an inspiration! I bet you come in under 50 minutes too.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    So awesome! My time has been about 60-65 min practicing for the 5k later this month, but I don't do it everyday. :o I suppose I'm ok, if I end up walking a big portion of it, especially since it's my first one & haven't been "running" that long!
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    So awesome! My time has been about 60-65 min practicing for the 5k later this month, but I don't do it everyday. :o I suppose I'm ok, if I end up walking a big portion of it, especially since it's my first one & haven't been "running" that long!

Someone gave me the idea to check the times from last year's race. I did. Last year, of the 120 women who ran a 5K, there was one who finished in 1:30 and 4 or 5 others who finished in more than an hour. That made me feel a little better. True, the runners will be different this year, but at least I know there are others who run slow like me!
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Don't even worry about it...you will do great and look awesome doing it! I can't wait to hear all about it, and hopefully see more pics. :-)