Any diabetics here?

Options
I'm diabetic, and just started cutting more carbs out. My goal is 50 or less a day,and since I've started I haven't had any hypo episodes!!!!!! Now if I could just get the scale to move faster...

Replies

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Hi @brandyhaynes26

T 2 on insulin here. I've gone from taking 310 units of insulin per day to 10-20 units by eating LCHF.

I actually just had my first hypo in months this morning, which was very bizarre. I'm kind of hopeful that some positive new changes are happening to my body as I'd really like to get off my remaining insulin.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @brandyhaynes26 welcome to MFP forums and best of success with your new Way Of Eating.

18 months ago I moved to this WOE (<50 grams of carbs daily) hoping for joint and muscle pain management and it happened in a major way and huge health issues have resolved and stayed that way.

For the first six weeks I was losing inches but my weight did not drop even one pound. Most of my pain was gone after just 30 days however. My 40 year bout with IBS resolved fully after 6 months and has stayed resolved as well as other issues.

Best of success and there are great people here that can share their experiences. I was more pre diabetic but that has resolved.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    There's lots of diabetics and FORMER diabetics here :wink:
    I'm not one, but my daughter uses low carb to manage her Type 1.
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I was diagnoses in Oct 2014 with an a1c of 7.9. I lost 30 lbs and started exercising and got my a1c down to 6.8. Started low carb, not strict or keto, but I avoid, bread, past and potatoes for sure, and my a1c last week was 6.0. I am also down 40 lbs now. 6.0 isn't where I want it, but low carb, even non keto, has helped tremendously. If you have the discipline to count every single carb, there are many success stories on here. I think my carbs are low enough to put me in keto but I eat to much protein, which apparently turns to glucose also. Feel free to add me for support.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. :)

I was prediabetic and it seems to have reversed itself except for ocassional slightly high FBGs if I ate late. I followed Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution and the Wahl's Protocol until it led to a ketogenic diet. Now I am trying the froup's All Animal April challenge and my BG is just beautiful. :)

I hope you have success with it. Give the scale time to move and consider taking some before pictures and measurements. Sometimes in this WoE we get smaller before the scale finally clues in. ;)
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/02/02/ketogenic-diet-health-benefits.aspx

I post this for any new to this Way Of Eating (WOE). Unlike Dr. Peter Attia who I fully trust Dr. Mercola has more showmanship approach but he is very active on the subject of health so I like to use his site to find subjects to research to a deeper level.

While I started this WOE for pain management the health benefits can be many but varies from person to person but helps so many diabetes so I wanted to mention this link for general info and to start your own Google researching perhaps.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm a "double diabetic" - I have both type 1 and type 2 diabetes, which means I make no insulin of my own (type 1) and I'm resistant to insulin (type 2). I will always take insulin no matter what (type 1), but I've decreased my need for insulin due to weight loss and lower carbs. At one time, I was taking more than 200 units daily. Now I'm at around 50 units on average.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Former pre-diabetic here. Successfully reversed it with Keto. No longer considered pre-diabetic (YAY)!