"The case against low fat milk is stronger than ever"

Options
carlsoda
carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
http://time.com/4279538/the-case-against-low-fat-milk-is-stronger-than-ever/

So true...boy I sure do feel better enjoying my dairy fat and it's true, I'm not interested in eating carby food when my body is full of fat :)

Replies

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    And our grocery store still has signs up saying that WIC only covers 1% or less.

Phooey.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Interesting read. Thanks for sharing. Yep, have to agree...LOVE my full-fat dairy!
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yes, @Twibbly, I even requested full fat milk at the WIC office for my littles, as they have ALWAYS been behind on the growth (weight) curve, but my request was denied. They said, "2 and over should always drink low fat milk." Phooey is right! :(

Edited to add: I still only give my kids full fat milk regardless. All those WIC benefits for low-fat milk remain untouched from month to month.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    As food, I like full fat. To drink? I liked my skim - more thirst quenching - but I gave up milk about 5 years ago.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    A sign of the times here, a good sign.

I wanted lactose free milk to make yogurt at home and DH found a full fat lactose free milk marked as "new" product. The most I could get before was 2%.
  • smurphy90
    smurphy90 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

I wanted lactose free milk to make yogurt at home and DH found a full fat lactose free milk marked as "new" product. The most I could get before was 2%.

Depending on how sensitive you are, you may be able to make yogurt with regular milk. The bacteria in the yogurt help digestion and (I think) the stomach lining so the lactose doesn't cause problems as often. Many lactose intolerant people can handle yogurt even if they can't handle milk. Full fat is still better... Cheese also contains really, really small (0.1-1%) amounts of lactose, so depending on sensitivity, most people can still eat cheese. Just fyi. The things you learn when your boyfriend's parents are food scientists (who specialize in dairy). :smile:
  • dasher602014
    Options
    smurphy90 wrote: »

Depending on how sensitive you are, you may be able to make yogurt with regular milk. The bacteria in the yogurt help digestion and (I think) the stomach lining so the lactose doesn't cause problems as often. Many lactose intolerant people can handle yogurt even if they can't handle milk. Full fat is still better... Cheese also contains really, really small (0.1-1%) amounts of lactose, so depending on sensitivity, most people can still eat cheese. Just fyi. The things you learn when your boyfriend's parents are food scientists (who specialize in dairy). :smile:

I wish! But 30 years has taught me 'no'. But this WOE is interesting. I can now do some aged cheese without problems. There is gluten intolerance in the family so maybe removing the gluten has allowed the lactose? I am trying homemade yogurt with lactose free milk and regular yogurt as a starter and I am able to eat it. I am going to move to regular milk next. My DH is Aussie and we visit every 2 years. They are big on soy yogurt and it just isn't yogurt! They had a lactose free milk yogurt last time I was there but it had 35grams of sugar! No plain. So, next year, I am hoping that I can make my own using a slow oven or something. Experimenting to get there. I do feel better when yogurt is in my diet.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    This really needs to catch on!
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I only wish the public school system would catch on. They offer kids low fat chocolate, fat free vanilla, skim, and 1%... nothing good, but what do you think the kids choose most?

Visiting my kids at lunch time, I've seen enough. It's full of cheap carbs and processed fats. I do my best to always pack for them.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    smurphy90 wrote: »

I wish! But 30 years has taught me 'no'. But this WOE is interesting. I can now do some aged cheese without problems. There is gluten intolerance in the family so maybe removing the gluten has allowed the lactose? I am trying homemade yogurt with lactose free milk and regular yogurt as a starter and I am able to eat it. I am going to move to regular milk next. My DH is Aussie and we visit every 2 years. They are big on soy yogurt and it just isn't yogurt! They had a lactose free milk yogurt last time I was there but it had 35grams of sugar! No plain. So, next year, I am hoping that I can make my own using a slow oven or something. Experimenting to get there. I do feel better when yogurt is in my diet.

I ferment my yogurt for 24 hours to let the microbes use up the sugar, which could be useful for low carb, even if you're using lactose free milk.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options

Walmart actually carries full fat lactose free milk in their Great Value brand....can you believe it!!??
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Walmart is too far away from me for regular shopping and here in Canada, last time I looked no lactose free at all!

I fermented for about 14 hours. It looked like yogurt so I stopped. But thanks for the info, I did not think it fermented longer after it became "yogurt". I will go longer this next time. I am using an Excaliber food dehydrator that came out of the basement after 25 years. I cleaned it up and it worked first time! So I am yogurt making from memory and an old memory at that!

Thanks for the info guys!