how long to show on the scales ??

Options
jaketwin123
jaketwin123 Posts: 55 Member
hi,curious really but how long does it take for what you eat or drink to show up on the scales ??

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Temporarily? Almost immediately. At least, in my case.

Long-Term? I don't know and it probably depends on the person.

For example, I could weigh in at 132 lbs before breakfast and once I eat my breakfast and have my coffee, I could step on the same scale and be 135 lbs or more.

As for long-term, it would probably depend on what you ate and what your body does with it.

Too many carbs and you are reverting back to burning carbs for energy, instead of ketones. That could cause a water weight gain of a few pounds - at least for a few days.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    The whole burn less calories than you consume to equal a certain amount of weight loss, doesn't actually work predictably that way.
    Weight can go up and down a few pounds during the course of any given day. Even weighing in on a certain day each week doesn't guarantee you'll pick the "right time" to show what you may have lost that week.
    If you're looking for any kind of weight loss on a daily or even weekly basis to tell you that what and how much you're eating is right for you, it's more of a guess on the short game. It's the long game that matters.
    Consider sticking with whatever you're doing for at least 2 weeks at a time consistently before expecting to see anything on the scale. Even then, it's possible you still won't see it. Depending on lots of things including how much you have to lose in the first place.
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    When I first started I pretty much only ate meat for 9 days. I seen a loss within the first few days.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    They say the scale shows the true gains/losses from two weeks prior, though water weight and such fluctuates on an hourly/daily basis... So TRUE fat loss is supposed to show up accurately about 14 days later, though most of us find much more reactions more quickly.
  • tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    ooh pooh! lol, if that is true I am in trouble because I was a carby piggy two weeks ago.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've noticed this... when low carbing I have an immediate result on the scales, usually losing about 5lbs after a week.. when I go to more normal weight/fat loss then it's slower usually about 1-2 every week.. What I have noticed through my years of dieting is if I have ever had a bad binge out day.. I was always so pleased when I got on the scales at the end of the week..I never put any on.. thought I was invincible lol - until I realised that it was the week AFTER I would gain weight.. even if I had been really strict.. my results have always been a weeks delay! lol
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. What I eat this week determines next weeks scale ride! Noticed this year's ago while dieting! Hang in there OP!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    After I went to eating <50 grams of carbs daily it was 6 weeks before I lost a pound but lost my fat face and an inch at the waist some how during that six weeks.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I'm doing keto so I lose a steady amount of weight per week but from day to day it's either all other the place or there's no change for a few days and then a change all at once. I notice for me I'll be like this:

Day 1: 148.4
    Day 2: 148.4 - consistent
    Day 3: 146.8 - down <2
    Day 4: 147.2 - up <1
    Day 5: 147.2 - consistent
    Day 6: 145.4 - down <2
    Day 7: 146.4 - up <1

So in the course of a week I'll lose about 1.5-2 lbs. Or if I "cheat" and have a bunch of carbs that kick me out of keto, I may not see my weight drop for a week (due to water retention) but then all of a sudden it's down 2 lbs. I've been tracking every day just to see how it fluctuates from day to day and see what the overall trend is.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    I'm doing keto so I lose a steady amount of weight per week but from day to day it's either all other the place or there's no change for a few days and then a change all at once. I notice for me I'll be like this:

Day 1: 148.4
    Day 2: 148.4 - consistent
    Day 3: 146.8 - down <2
    Day 4: 147.2 - up <1
    Day 5: 147.2 - consistent
    Day 6: 145.4 - down <2
    Day 7: 146.4 - up <1

So in the course of a week I'll lose about 1.5-2 lbs. Or if I "cheat" and have a bunch of carbs that kick me out of keto, I may not see my weight drop for a week (due to water retention) but then all of a sudden it's down 2 lbs. I've been tracking every day just to see how it fluctuates from day to day and see what the overall trend is.

@bowlerae you make a good point. In my case for the first 45 days of eating <50 grams of carbs daily I did not lose even 1 pound but did lose my fat face and an inch at the waist. I think my body had to do some recovering before the weight started dropping in my case.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    This week I started keeping my carbs at 50 and exercise about an hour fifteen every day and have seen the scale move more than in the whole last month. I'm 5'4" and went from 177 on Monday to 174.5 today. I also cut my aspartame consumption from about 25-30 packets (yes, that many, it was a problem) to about 4-5 a day.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    This week I started keeping my carbs at 50 and exercise about an hour fifteen every day and have seen the scale move more than in the whole last month. I'm 5'4" and went from 177 on Monday to 174.5 today. I also cut my aspartame consumption from about 25-30 packets (yes, that many, it was a problem) to about 4-5 a day.

Wow! That's great improvement on the aspartame for sure! I know how hard it is to cut back sweeteners. It took me many months and I eventually got to a point where I couldn't seem to cut it just a little bit more. It made me mad and I decided to go completely without. Lol
    I kept finding that I would get down to half a pump of coffee syrup per cup for days and next thing you know it was a full pump again and I would be feeling like it wasn't sweet enough and wanting more than that. So I'd go back to half a pump to reset just to have it creep back up again.
    Ugh! I didn't like how I felt that I wanted more all the time. So I just stopped using it altogether.
    It was hard at first and there are plenty of times that I feel like I want sweet coffee again, but I did get to where I enjoy my coffee unsweetened. So I'm not going back.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »

I, too, had to completely eliminate the sweeteners! I've adjusted to unsweetened coffee, just as I'd gotten used to drinking unsweetened tea many years ago! It's great that you've been able to cut your use so drastically! Congratulations on your weight loss too! :)