Sugar addict

Options
I'm a plant based clean eater that struggles with sugar addiction. Any others out there with the same issue?

Replies

• rkennedy1014
    rkennedy1014 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm more a salty addict than a sweet gal myself, but when I am craving something sweet I like to eat the Greens Plus bars. I get the gluten free ones. I think they are pretty "clean" and taste delicious. I also make "ice cream" out of whey protein, almond milk, almond butter and ice. It hits the spot when I need something sweet and chocolately.
  • amyrllin1
    amyrllin1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am such a sugar addict, I have even tried to do 8 week cleanses etc, but I get jonesing for my chocolate in a bad way!! I have been buying honey candies, they are just honey formed into a hard candy, they are made for going in tea etc but I find it helps to suck on one if I am really craving!
    I am going to look for green plus bars, I wonder if they are available in Canada.
    Sugar is my crack!
  • Charlasek
    Charlasek Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm a food addict in a 12-step recovery program and I cut out all sugars (and flours) last July. The cravings (and my attitude) were bad for a few weeks, but it's much easier now to pass them over. Family and friends are finally getting used to it and have not only stopped offering them to me, but think ahead about alternatives I can enjoy. :smile: I use Stevia in coffee. I've grown to appreciate the natural sweetness of fruits. I'll have 3-4 dates once in awhile for dessert or make a PB&J smoothie with plain Greek yogurt, spinach (of course), banana, strawberries, a spoon of 100% natural fruit preserves and a dollop of peanut butter. Sometimes I add cacao nibs instead of the strawberries and preserves. For me – a real addict – I can't just have a little. One bite will set me on the road to relapse, so I have to avoid all sugars completely. I do use raw honey when a recipe calls for it as long as it's a very small proportion of the recipe.
  • hisgirlhoward
    hisgirlhoward Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My food diary is open and I like sharing ideas. I actually had a vegan truffle today. I was so pleased with myself that I was able to eat just one. I actually put two on the counter and then put one back. I do make healthy deserts and have been able to limit them to one serving. I think because they're not the treats I normally go nuts for. Healthy is just not as tasty as the unhealthy.
  • Charlasek
    Charlasek Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's true! That's why the unhealthy ones are so addictive.