stereotyping by doctor

Options
queen4elm
queen4elm Posts: 14 Member
So, as you know, I am on dialysis. I do in-center hemo. Part of my "care plan" is a check-up and possible producure at a vascular group. They have 2 doctors. I normally see one, but thus last time I saw the other one, when he saw me, he said to me and my daughter that I really should be trying to lose weight and should start walking at least 20 minutes a day. We both just looked at each other. I was a bit perturbed at this point and realising that he normally don't see me, I kept my mouth shut. Later the nurse said, he don't realize what you are doung or how far you have come. I've dropped like 53 pounds. I walk at least an hour a day, do a Richard Simmons tape daily, and at least 50 squats daily. Do any of you all, experience this type of thing from health-care providers?

Replies

• lukkiecharm
    lukkiecharm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    In my experience, answering matter of factly sometimes brings them down to earth. I have learned that if I do not feel comfortable with the doctor, to get another one asap. You will not listen to good advice from a bad doctor or one you do not like. And the bad advice will do no good for your mental health - which plays a large part in physical health.
    Maybe before you go to your appts, make sure your doc will be available, otherwise reschedule if you can. It's okay to tell other doc how you felt, if enough people feel uncomfortable, this other doc might have some issues. By the way, I wish I could do 50 squats :)
  • queen4elm
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. I do have a better doctor-patient relationship with the other. He has seen the changes already. Weight, exercise, lab numbers. I've been in the medical field almost all my life. Just didn't feel like addressing it then, but next time I see him, I may do that. I've come a long way and I personally felt that I was sitting on square 1. I know he meant well. He just doesn't know where I am in the journey. But, also, he did me a favor. Now, I am determined to step up my game.
  • queen4elm
    Options
    . By the way, I wish I could do 50 squats :) [/quote]

The squats are easy. I literally work them in. 10 while I brush my teeth. 10 each while heating or fixing breakfast, lunch, dinner. And 10 more if I eat a snack. Literally, 10 each time I eat during the day