Pain Meds

Options
emilybeaver
emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
So I think I have found a culprit which I had no idea would effect me. I took ibuprofen this morning due to an old shoulder muscle injury that was flaring up. I had the same breakfast yesterday but this morning I had the ibuprofen. I have awful acid reflux. So if this is truly the case, what do I take for pain meds? Or just live with the acid reflux?

Replies

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I can't take ibuprofen or NCAIDs because of the interaction with one of my meds, so I take paracetamol (like acetaminophen in the US) and apply either ice or a hot water bottle to the area of pain, depending on what it is. I also love the biofreeze gel. It is definitely frustrating not being able to take anti inflammatory meds.
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass surgery and was told no NSAIDS unless I take a acid reducer like ranitidine with them.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I get gastritis if I take more than one or two NSAID's like Advil. Sadly I also have RA and Advil really helped my joint pain. Basically I try not to take anything. In emergencies like above I'll take Advil with an acid reducer. Otherwise I take Epsom salt baths and soak a bit, use Bio Freeze, and try adding natural anti-inflammatories like turmeric and ginger to my foods.
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm still being plagued by it this afternoon. The only other thing is maybe the water enchancer I put in my water. But I've had it all week and no issues.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    For pain, I try to do Salon Pas (natural) pain patches... I do ibuprofen, but always with a solid meal (not just coffee or something)... it has a lot of stomach upset related things...
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Non drug: alternate hot & cold (or room temperature and hot or cold) 15mins on, then off for a temperture difference...vasodilation to vasoconstriction to move prostaglandins (heh, P for pain) and chemical messengers from accumulating at the site

Acetaminophen (N-Acetyl Para-Amino-Phenol=Paracetamol) 500-1,000mg per oral every 6 hours as needed (MAX 4,000 mg/day adult, MAX 3,000mg/day if manufactured by McNeil or if 60+yo). Less GI upset vs NSAIDs; however, lacks anti-inflammatory properties.

NSAID OTC of choice = Ibuprofen 200-400mg per oral with food every 6-8 hours (has analgesic threshold; no despite what ER docs write, higher doses (800mg/dose) have no greater pain relief. For reflux, combo with Antacid (liquid preferably, Gaviscon for some extra help from aligning acid which floats on top of gastric acid content to act as a viscous barrier). Night time, Histamine related reflux, use Famotidine...both histamine antagonists and antacids help in the short term (<7days...which is the max anyone should be using OTC NSAIDs consecutively anyways...labeled 7-10 days)

Proton pump inhibitors take at least 3-7 days for onset and "as needed" dosing only has anecdotal (not conclusive) evidence for relief. Best/most consistent when chronic acid reflux is needed (no relief after 2+ weeks using histamine antagonists)

Capsaicin takes numerous applications and several days before depleting substance P; really only useful for hand arthritis and possibly DM Neuropathy. Burns like hell...I had this one guy who inadvertently contaminated his toothbrush with capsaicin...that had to be some excruciating pain!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Heartburn can be helped by drinking a couple of tbsp of Apple cider vinegar diluted in water. Use the ranitidine as needed (I don't advocate daily use of any "stomach" meds). For pain? Ugh! I know Tylenol is useless for many too! I have a prescription for plain codeine since I'm allergic to Tylenol and NSAIDS. May be an option? Or something similar? Hope you feel better! Pain just sucks!