RS Biggest Loser/Extreme Makeover Weight Loss

Options
SandiW02
SandiW02 Posts: 223 Member
I have been a big fan of the Biggest Loser for many seasons and watch religiously. Now, I am a fan of the show Extreme Makeover Weight Loss. I have seen each episode and love how some what committed the contestants are.

So here is my take on the past episode:: husband and wife and the husband did not want to be there - ok seriously? Why did you agree to go!! Then at the end the wife said if her husband did not get the skin removal surgery she would not either. OMG!! I was hot!! Well just throw away a fantastic opportunity why don't you. Anyway in the end they both got surgery. The funny thing I see here is that these people are about my size and cannot move and I am hitting the gym and doing Zumba daily (for the most part lol). Did you know Chris Powell wrote books? I just recently downloaded one to my kindle (9.99) and will begin reading when I get home (in 2 days). I will let you know how it is.

While I enjoy the shows I have to wonder if it is the drama I enjoy more. Do not get me wrong I love watching the success of the contestants but I would LOVE to have this opportunity. Unfortunately my story would be so boring the judges would never pick me.

Does anyone watch these shows? How do you feel about them? Do you get discouraged or inspired by them?

Sandi

Replies

• SandiW02
    Options
    No takers on voicing the weight loss reality shows? Interesting...
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I have been horrible about getitng into the message boards!

I randomly watch Biggest Loser, and some of it is the drama, because I know this isn't the way to lose weight, and it's not a way I can lose weight.
    A lot of times it seems that the people going on the show are not trying to lose weight (too daunting so they don't try?), and that they want a quick weight loss (not all), and because they're so removed from the 'real world' that transitioning back makes it very difficult, and often they relapse and gain most, if not all of it, back. I can understand some weight gain post-show, because let's face facts, you are not going to spend numerous hours a day at the gym, no one is buying your food.
    I've thought about it before, because I always laugh about how little the people weigh on there compared to me. 250pds? Hah, on my best day. Sometimes I feel inspired by them, as I SIT there watching, but ultimately, it does end up mostly being television to me. I'm already trying to eat healthy and exercise, so I don't take anything away from it for the long run. I think that for those it works, it's great. And for those that it inspires to get up and move and eat better, all the much better.
  • smacmillan86
    smacmillan86 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I had to google these, we don't watch reality television or television much at all actually lol. They look interesting anyways.
  • SandiW02
    Options
    I don't like 'reality tv' for the most part but for some reason I am hooked to these shows like a maniac. Must be my obsession...lol.

I really like Jillian Michaels and have purchased some of her DVD's to do at home when I cannot hit the gym. I actually have her 3 month program I did last summer and did really well on ... until I fell off the wagon face first and gained it all back. I think I get inspiration from these shows since I do not have but (1 friend) here who I can really talk to about my struggles.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I don't like 'reality tv' for the most part but for some reason I am hooked to these shows like a maniac. Must be my obsession...lol.

I really like Jillian Michaels and have purchased some of her DVD's to do at home when I cannot hit the gym. I actually have her 3 month program I did last summer and did really well on ... until I fell off the wagon face first and gained it all back. I think I get inspiration from these shows since I do not have but (1 friend) here who I can really talk to about my struggles.
    I'm with you. I have a few friends that know what it's like, but one of them has converted to weight lifting, and while we can commiserate, we don't always push each other to be better. I liked the Biggest Loser videos, as before when I was working out (before I fell off my wagon), that was the other form of cardio besides walking. The 30-day Jump Start one I didn't like so much (esp if you're expecting Bob or Jillian), but the Cardio Max, and Power Sculpt one I liked, I had a third but I can't find it anymore. I've been thinking of doing 30Day Shred, since I won't have a trainer anymore.

Definitely for me the show is more about the story, and the journey. While it's a competition, they are not as near cut throat as Big Brother, or Survivor, and I think that's what makes the show more appealing. You pull for all the competitors, because they can all benefit from the help, and it's not just about them winning money. That's awesome too, but it's almost like a side benefit.
  • krouse83
    krouse83 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy "Extreme Makeover Weight Loss" I don't like it for the drama though. I am more intrigued by the actual process and how they have to modify their life style in order to lose the weight in a year. It gives me inspiration. If the people on the show can do it in a year, then what is to stop me from achieving my goal as well. Yeah I don't have Chris Powell and everything he brings to the show, and I might not lost my 100+ pounds in a year but I can do it over time! Plus its nice watching Chris Powell, he is such a cutie!
  • SandiW02
    Options
    I really enjoy "Extreme Makeover Weight Loss" I don't like it for the drama though. I am more intrigued by the actual process and how they have to modify their life style in order to lose the weight in a year. It gives me inspiration. If the people on the show can do it in a year, then what is to stop me from achieving my goal as well. Yeah I don't have Chris Powell and everything he brings to the show, and I might not lost my 100+ pounds in a year but I can do it over time! Plus its nice watching Chris Powell, he is such a cutie!

The latest episode was very inspiring. I cannot believe the 'contestant' broke 3 records in the year. Recently, I downloaded Powell's new book but I have not read it yet. Anxiously waiting to see what it says though.
  • teamjojo1971
    teamjojo1971 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love the show Extreme Makeover with Chris Powell. I love to watch the outside tranformation of the people, but also the inside transfomations with them. It seems like it is a journey for not just their changing their outside appearances but also their emotional issues. I use to watch the Biggest Loser also but when I was on a cruise I saw the father of the green team, (it was a daughter/father team), and I went up to him and talked to him about the show, he told me about the little things that they would do to lose sooo much weight and have the high numbers. It was not the fault of the show it was the fault of the individual, but when you are there to win a bunch of money, people will do stupid things. I don't think everyone was there for what I would call an opportunity of a lifetime.
  • funsmile1234
    funsmile1234 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I use to watch the biggest loser and have watched a few extreme makeover weight loss shows. I know the biggest loser plan works because I got the books and have lost 130 lbs in a year and a half just by mostly following their guidelines. Really it's true that nobody can work out as much as these people do on tv and expect their lives to be that way when they get home. I don't work out half as much as them but still manage to lose a lot of weight. I tweeked the plan a little to fit into my lifestyle and it really works for me. Plus it doesn't really feel like a diet. More like a way of life for me. Something doable for the rest of my life. I agree promoting a "quick loss" approach hardly ever works for the long haul. I started off at 5 minutes of exercise 2x a week and then worked my way into a realistic routine that doesn't seem like a chore so where as I'm tempted to give up because it's just too much exercise plus I eat really well, not diet food. Whole and healthy and no processed food but also giving myself allowances for dessert and cheeseburger and fries once in a while. I think if you deprive yourself all the time you'll gorge later when you have a weak moment.
    I have the same question as the rest of everybody on here. Can these people realistically do this the rest of their lives once the cameras stop rolling. I really don't know.