guardian newspaper article on sugar vs fat as the culprit in obesity epidemic

Options
totaloblivia
totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
I thought you would all enjoy this - finally getting the "it's sugar not fat" message out to a more mainstream audience - has a lot in it about the dodgy science that supported the low fat message. It's a long read, but a good one. The Guardian is a well-respected, left-leaning UK newspaper, in case you don't know it.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/07/the-sugar-conspiracy-robert-lustig-john-yudkin

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I think this might have gotten buried. Bumping for others to read.
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting, and bumping! A long read but well worth the time. I have long been a fan of Dr. Lustig, his Sugar: The Bitter Truth presentation mentioned in the article was what got me started on researching LC last year. I was not aware of Yudkin's work.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    "Although Keys had shown a correlation between heart disease and saturated fat, he had not excluded the possibility that heart disease was being caused by something else. Years later, the Seven Countries study’s lead Italian researcher, Alessandro Menotti, went back to the data, and found that the food that correlated most closely with deaths from heart disease was not saturated fat, but sugar."

This was news to me. Thanks for the link.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Wow...that was an excellent read. Thank you for sharing and posting the link!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Great article.

Perhaps we should keep our collective minds open to the possibility that, 30 years from now, the transient LCHF craze of the new millenium will be attributed to a Russia-Cuba-N. Korea backed conspiracy to grow the tropical oils market......
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    Thanks for the positive feedback folks - I wasn't sure if I should inflict such a long article on you all, but I should never underestimate the intelligence of folk on this forum. I got my mum to read it too as she doesn't like my LCHF diet. She agrees about cutting out sugar, but still thinks we should go for a low fat diet (she had conniptions watching me eat a hunk of brie for lunch when everyone else was having a sandwich). I don't really want to think about the misery of a diet like that!
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    she had conniptions watching me eat a hunk of brie for lunch when everyone else was having a sandwich

Brie is delicious, don't give up the brie. I survive pretty much on brie and meat.
  • totaloblivia
    Options