I'm getting past the initial losses and discouraged. :(

Options
13»

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I think everyone else has made really great points. I'm going to ask the obvious, have you recalculated your macros since your initial loss? If you lost a goodly amount of weight, you may want to check the keto calculator and see if it suggests a change.

That's a good point. I went through the MFP guided setup, and it came back with 50 fewer daily calories for a 1 lb. weekly loss. So I have some new targets now.

BAH! @midwesterner85 Banish the MFP crap. Use a real calculator! You might actually need to increase your targets rather than lower them...

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

There are other ones that consider more factors that others can link for you!

Hmm... well, this makes me lose another 260 calories. :(
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I think everyone else has made really great points. I'm going to ask the obvious, have you recalculated your macros since your initial loss? If you lost a goodly amount of weight, you may want to check the keto calculator and see if it suggests a change.

That's a good point. I went through the MFP guided setup, and it came back with 50 fewer daily calories for a 1 lb. weekly loss. So I have some new targets now.

BAH! @midwesterner85 Banish the MFP crap. Use a real calculator! You might actually need to increase your targets rather than lower them...

You can adjust the deficit percentage. It's set to a default. If it's showing less calories than MFP, it's default is probably just set higher than MFP.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    edited April 2016
    Options

You can adjust the deficit percentage. It's set to a default. If it's showing less calories than MFP, it's default is probably just set higher than MFP.

Yes, I had to adjust to get to the same 1 lb./wk deficit and came up with 1350 calories vs. 1610 on MFP.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Yes, I had to adjust to get to the same 1 lb./wk deficit and came up with 1350 calories vs. 1610 on MFP.

Something has to have gone wrong. I'm a 5'4" F, 6 pounds to goal, and with a moderate 20% deficit for a sedentary person, it gives me 1254. I did use that as a goal for several months before moving up to 1350 when I decided I was probably doing more harm than good approaching it so aggressively.

Edited:
    I went back to look it over again. Something does seem off. I noticed the box to check male or female was aligned weird on mobile and I had the male box checked. So the above calories would be for a man with my details. Once I changed it to female, it was 1160. I never ate that low as a goal. I definitely did some days because I wasn't hungry. But never as a regular thing. I don't recall it ever giving me a goal under 1250 before. Even as I updated it as I lost weight.
    Try this one
    http://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/
    Seemed more like I expected...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Something has to have gone wrong. I'm a 5'4" F, 6 pounds to goal, and with a moderate 20% deficit for a sedentary person, it gives me 1254. I did use that as a goal for several months before moving up to 1350 when I decided I was probably doing more harm than good approaching it so aggressively.

Edited:
    I went back to look it over again. Something does seem off. I noticed the box to check male or female was aligned weird on mobile and I had the male box checked. So the above calories would be for a man with my details. Once I changed it to female, it was 1160. I never ate that low as a goal. I definitely did some days because I wasn't hungry. But never as a regular thing. I don't recall it ever giving me a goal under 1250 before. Even as I updated it as I lost weight.
    Try this one

This brings me to 1,629 for a 1 lb./week loss.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

Edited:
    Try this one

Due to the various dietary affects of a low carb diet, you might not have to have your deficit that high to lose a pound a week. It's not a basic math calculation like everyone suggests. It's like a bad combo of calculus, chemistry, physics, biology, chaos theory, and all that mess all rolled into one big ball of random! Some things we can control, other things we can't. Remember that we're going for long term progress, not short/once and done changes! Good luck to you in continued health improvements!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Edited:
    Try this one

Due to the various dietary affects of a low carb diet, you might not have to have your deficit that high to lose a pound a week. It's not a basic math calculation like everyone suggests. It's like a bad combo of calculus, chemistry, physics, biology, chaos theory, and all that mess all rolled into one big ball of random! Some things we can control, other things we can't. Remember that we're going for long term progress, not short/once and done changes! Good luck to you in continued health improvements!

I seem really good at maintaining, so I am fine with a quick loss. Today, trendweight downgraded me further to 0.6 lbs/week. Before long, I'll be losing nothing. I totally agree that CICO by itself is a gross oversimplification. However, I'm going to try cutting back to 1350 daily in hopes that it helps.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it, man. I am starting to flatten out as well, but as long as the overall trend is going down, I try not to worry. I have also found that I had a couple of chunk losses where my weight would be the same for several days then a drop of a pound or .8 pound in a day, then continue small drops from there.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

Edited:
    Try this one

I seem really good at maintaining, so I am fine with a quick loss. Today, trendweight downgraded me further to 0.6 lbs/week. Before long, I'll be losing nothing. I totally agree that CICO by itself is a gross oversimplification. However, I'm going to try cutting back to 1350 daily in hopes that it helps.

Weight loss isn't linear, and neither is your rate of weight loss. You will likely have times when you don't lose at all, and times when you lose a lot at once. I don't know if anyone asked about your protein macros yet. Keeping them a little high, like a gram per pound of your lean mass, seems to help some people.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »

Edited:
    Try this one

Weight loss isn't linear, and neither is your rate of weight loss. You will likely have times when you don't lose at all, and times when you lose a lot at once. I don't know if anyone asked about your protein macros yet. Keeping them a little high, like a gram per pound of your lean mass, seems to help some people.

Yes, I know it isn't linear. But I almost always struggle with losses. I've been trying to lose with CICO since 1/1/14 and have only lost about 32 lbs. I try to keep protein to just over 1g per lb. of lean mass. However, as I cut calories to 1350, that becomes more and more difficult.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »

Edited:
    Try this one

Yes, I know it isn't linear. But I almost always struggle with losses. I've been trying to lose with CICO since 1/1/14 and have only lost about 32 lbs. I try to keep protein to just over 1g per lb. of lean mass. However, as I cut calories to 1350, that becomes more and more difficult.

I don't like meat, and if I eat enough of it, I don't feel like eating at all, so I always have it first in a meal.
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    So, you have been doing low calories since 2014 and you have been doing LCHF for a little over a month? Well if that is the case, I think you are doing really, really well. And you should be proud of yourself. 2lb a week is great! Even .8lb a week is great!

It took me 44 days before I lost any weight and I actually gained weight the first 3 weeks. I think you are doing very good for your first month.