Food ideas?

Options
V79F
V79F Posts: 12 Member
I just started cutting again and exercising more and eating healthier after a while of just slacking off.

Tricky thing is, I'm a kidney patient, so I need to eat low sodium and low protein. I'm not a vegetarian, but try not to eat too much animal protein, but really, all protein needs to be limited to a max of 15%, preferably less.
I'm having a very hard time getting enough calories in without adding too much protein or crap food.

I'm allergic to most fruits, so that's not a real option either. Anyone have any good ideas?

Replies

• molnardrea
    molnardrea Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes, oatmeal, honey, vegetables with rice, sauces, peanut butter.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    Avocados and olives (if you take canned black olives and add EVOO and some herbs, let marinate for a couple of days, they can be low in sodium), avocado oil, EVOO, if you don't have a problem with them nuts are good too.
  • V79F
    V79F Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!
    I love nuts, I just thought they're relatively high in protein, as I often read them as advice to get some extra protein in.
    Avocados are a good idea, I love them and hadn't even thought of how caloric they are.
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    You'd have to look at each nut and the other food you eat to determine if it's protein content is okay for you. Some nuts are higher in fat and lower in protein- cashews and macadamias. Also, they are the most delicious :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Many people say nuts are good source of protein, but considering fat content by gram or calories is usually much higher - I'm not sure why.

Perhaps good source of protein compared to a carrot.

By itself it's not really high in protein though - and the fact is a body can rarely digest most of it - so what it's got you can't even get.

You also may need to redefine "crap" food. Perhaps you think all or most grains should be avoided. Not true at all.

Peanut butter even higher in fat and carbs - shouldn't be a problem hitting calories with that, nor keeping protein low enough.