Cholesterol Results after 6 months Keto.

Options
2»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Phinney in one of his lectures put me onto a 50-50 combination of coconut and olive oil, which you can scoop and serve like soft margarine but without the trans fats and with better taste (and perhaps without the burn).

That sounds interesting especially in the winter when it can get so hard.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Read Jimmy Moore or Johnny Bowden's books on cholesterol and what you should actually be looking for.

The LDL doesn't tell you if it's the fluffy, benign kind, or the dense, mean kind.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »
    Read Jimmy Moore or Johnny Bowden's books on cholesterol and what you should actually be looking for.

The LDL doesn't tell you if it's the fluffy, benign kind, or the dense, mean kind.

I have read Jimmy Moore's book and it got it though my thick skull.

If triglycerides are going down and HDL is going up at the same time one can expect where LDL is going up or down it is getting more fluffy (so to speak). LDL is not a predictor of any health risk as I understand current lipid research. The triglyceride/HLD ratio how ever is and should be less than 2 and the lower the number the better.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I wish I had my results with me, but I don't. Last month my results came back with all my markers improving, except LDL which rose to a very similar number bumping my total cholesterol just over 300 - a number which included a fabulous reading of HDL of ~100 and VLDL of ~16. (Trigs were low too, can't recall them right now). However, my doc did not put me on statin as we both agreed that it is common and therefor not overly alarming with low carb diets and fast weight loss. I was doing both. So personally I wouldn't go on statins until you can get a partical test of your cholesterol to really make sense of it, because not all LDL are bad. You want to avoid oxidized VLDL, and the low carb diet inherently reduces those.

Here is a link to newsletter I received that may help explain why seeing high LDL during the early phase of low carb dieting is likely not that alarming. https://id226.infusionsoft.com/app/hostedEmail/11006277/6d29be5d979866e8?inf_contact_key=5bd8b0e5f10b2538b6d50450100ab3ca1f6ff4263aed42fef153a1d6be8dd085
    A typical response in the cholesterol panel of someone who has eliminated all wheat, grains, and sugars would look something like this:

Triglycerides 50 mg/dl
    LDL cholesterol (calculated) — mg/dl
    HDL cholesterol 70 mg/dl
    Total cholesterol 200 mg/dl

I left the LDL cholesterol blank because it can do just about anything: go up, go down, remain unchanged—but it doesn’t matter, because it is inaccurate, unreliable, invalid. If you were to measure advanced lipoproteins, however, you would see a dramatic reduction or elimination of small LDL particles and reduction of the total count of LDL particles (since the small LDL component has been reduced or eliminated) with large LDL particles remaining.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Dr. Davis' Wheat Belly Total Health is a helpful book in my case over the crazy cholesterol numbers I got at first.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    have to admit i'm a bit concerned about what my blood work will show, not that i'm getting new reports anytime soon.

am happy however that eating lower carbs has resulted in an easier WOE than i've ever had. :)
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    LDL is considered a risk mostly by association. It's unknown if it's still a risk in certain contexts, such as the low-inflammation environment normally associated with a LCHF diet.

I brought this topic up when I saw Doc Naiman yesterday. Good news! He gave me a relevant study:

Hyperinsulinemia as an Independent Risk Factor for Ischemic Heart Disease

nejm199604113341504_f1.gif

This strongly suggests that if you keep insulin low (via low carb, of course), high LDL and other traditional risk factors are much less risky!
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    @wabmester that is an awesome find of old Canadian data on the subject.

My take if one would from the get go eat in a way that would likely prevent the metabolic syndrome from ever developing the odds of premature deaths might drop like a rock.

However we know to do so is against human nature perhaps.