Caught my boyfriend's cold

Options
sammyliftsandeats
sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
Hi all,

I have been on keto for close to six months now and this is the first time I have had any sickness. I have a stuffed nose which makes it slightly difficult to breathe. I know things like NyQuil are filled with carbs so I really want to avoid it.

What do you guys recommend for colds while on this WOE?

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    The cold and flu tablets and pills are less carbs. Those for symptom control. But, the main thing is plenty of fluids, adequate food, and tons of rest.

Feel better.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I believe in high dose vitamin C.
    Taking 1000mg a 2 to 4 times a day may help get you back to health more quickly.
    I take 8000 to 10000mg daily as a maintenance myself. Not because I'm concerned with deficiency. More as a biohack.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Zinc tablets can help knock that cold out faster!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    For many reasons, I can't take most otc cold meds. I take Tylenol to reduce my pain and fever, I'll stick my head over a bowl of steam to clear my sinuses (some people also swear by those netty pots) and I rest with a hot water bottle and lots of chicken broth and hot tea for fluids as the hot liquid is soothing on my throat. My doc also recommended guaifenesin as an expectorant, so I take that in pill form if I have chest congestion.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    @PaleoInScotland I totally forgot about my neti pot! I will definitely use that because I feel it really works for me. Thanks for the reminder.

The plan is tea, water, Vitamin C, and not talking during the work day. Hope it lessens by tomorrow because I am going to Seattle on Saturday and don't want to kill the vibe by being sick!
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    For congestion I use a steamer/humidifier with a drop or two of eucalyptus and peppermint oil. I will take Tylenol or Advil for headaches. I take vitamins and bone broth if I can keep anything down.

If it is really bad my husband gives me the NyQuil I so desperately try to avoid because he buys the liquid. Lol. Naaaassssttttyyyy!!

I hope you feel better soon. :)

• tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I've been fighting a cold for 10 days now too, almost gone. Lots of liquids and lots of rest. Vicks Vapor Rub on your chest (and on your feet with socks at bedtime), very helpful.
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Chicken broth, bone broth if you have it, add herbs, sage , thyme, parsley. Hot sauce, chicken wings , yumm! Chinese hot and sour soup is good, too.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have no shame. When I am sick, I reach for the Nyquil. It's hardcore. I believe it's better to get the necessary rest to get better faster than possibly elongate recovery by getting poor rest (which is what happens without it.)

I don't log it.