First 5K in three years... this weekend!!!

Options
Sweet13_Princess
Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
I've been training pretty much since January, but I had two setbacks due to illness where I went a full week without running. Then, I took a break Easter weekend. I wish I had trained a bit more... I'm up to 30 minute runs, but my pace is slow. I get maybe a 1.65 mile in that amount of time. Ready or not, here it comes! Just so I don't come in last, and I'll be happy!

Shannon

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Even if you do finish last, you will still have done it and be doing so much better than those people still sitting on the couch! Have fun!!!
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Let us know how it was :)
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    Thanks! So excited for tomorrow morning. The northeast just got snow today, so it's going to be chilly tomorrow. Not really the running environment I envisioned. I HATE the cold! Guess I'll just have to find a way to push through it... Didn't do a workout tonight because I was afraid my legs would be tired in the morning. Do you usually train the day before? *wondering*

Shannon
  • Aine8046
    Options
    I do not train the day before, but I do not have much experience (4-5 5k and 10k races). We got some snow too... Hopefully your place is not as bad as ours:
    s76ja03kgpkc.jpg
  • Sweet13_Princess
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Well, I did it! I ran a family 5K with my husband and daughter in the stroller today, even with this chilly weather outside (it was 41 degrees at the start of the race)! My pace can definitely improve: 50:58.12 for the entire 5K, which is a 16:26 mile pace. I ended up being the 122nd person over the finish line out of 139 people, but I'm happy to say that wasn't last! Next up, a fun mud run in two weeks! I didn't really train for that, but since you're allow to skip obstacles and it's untimed, I'm not worried!

Shannon
  • Aine8046
    Options
    This is great! Congratulations! Did you run all the way or walked a little bit?
    A mud run sounds fun - hopefully it will be much warmer than 41 degrees! :)
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    I mostly walked. My husband didn't do any training and was feeling it on the hills. We had a couple of ladies in front of us that we kept pace with. If we fell behind, then we jogged. When I got in the home stretch of the finish line, I jogged too. This was my fourth 5K. I've never gotten to the point when I could actually jog the whole thing, let alone run. I'd love to keep working at it and get there one day!

Shannon
  • Aine8046
    Options
    I mostly walked. My husband didn't do any training and was feeling it on the hills. We had a couple of ladies in front of us that we kept pace with. If we fell behind, then we jogged. When I got in the home stretch of the finish line, I jogged too. This was my fourth 5K. I've never gotten to the point when I could actually jog the whole thing, let alone run. I'd love to keep working at it and get there one day!

Shannon

This is a great result for jog/walk! :)
    Good luck on the mud run! :)